cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Need my DLM/SNR reset after duff rouuter caused multiple resets

Go to solution

Hello Im on broadband Fibre 2 and have always achieved speeds of near the max 79 down and 19 up as iI live right across the road from the cabinet. Anyway to cut a long story short I thought i had a line problem in the weeks leading up to Christmas, i was getting slow speeds and fairly regular disconnects and also WIFI disconnects. Anyway it turns out it wasn't my line but my old router. I tried using my backup HH5 and it worked fine but with rubbish 5ghz (standard i know). Anyway i have gone out and purchased an TP_Link Archer VR2800 which although getting on is still one of the fastest and quality routers at 5ghz. However i have now noticed that my modem stats now show the following:

Line Status:
Connected
DSL Up Time:
0 days 1 hours 11 minutes
DSL Modulation Type:
VDSL2
Annex Type:
Annex A/L

Upstream Downstream

Current Rate (kbps)2000073998
Max Rate (kbps)28698130156
SNR Margin (dB)11.121.6
Line Attenuation (dB)9.96.1
Errors (pkts)0

My download speed is 14mb off where it used to be and its fairly obvious my SNR is way too high especially on the downstream which is why my connect rate is currently 73998 and my download  speed is maxing out at 64mb. How do I go about getting a SNR/ DLM or full profile reset as I am 99.9% sure the originally issue of a faulty modem rebooted caused this in the first place. BT on the helpline were next to useless on this matter.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Need my DLM/SNR reset after duff rouuter caused multiple resets

Go to solution

If the line remains stable, DLM will do its stuff and restore your speed.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Ok I guess we are talking a couple of weeks of retraining then?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Probably, might be slightly longer.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Well internet disconnected over night night before last on 9th day of solid connection. And has reconnected back at 79999 up from 73999 and download speed as increased to around 69/70mb. Still 4-5mb short of where I was but heading in the right direction. Interestingly SNR is still 20 so that has a fair way to drop yet. On a side note the new TP-Link Archer VR2800 is a world away better than its newer replacement VR2100 if anyone’s in the market. 

the VR2100 kept dropping WiFi signal on both bands left right and centre even with fixed channels but this one works perfectly and had vastly increased signal strength on both frequencies.

Still wouldn’t mind a SmartHub 1 as a solid backup.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Another update. All is not 100% well I fear, starting to get disconnects every morning around 2am. Would this be DLM? Either way it’s now happened 3 days in a row resulting in my longest connection being 22 hours. This also buggered up my router when I woke up refusing to connect anything on WiFi which required a further reboot to solve. Exactly the same symptoms on 3 different routers but BT are telling me the line is fine?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
This was an interesting insight into the DLM process posted by one of the old hands in another thread
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

Looks like resets at about 3-5am are signs of the DLM tinkering 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

When I was on FTTC and I had a fault, an engineer fixed the line, has done a dlm reset and after about 3-4 days of stable connection the hub6 started rebooting every night about 1am. It went on for about a week then it stopped and this resulted me going back up to my full speed. If your router reboots at about the same time every night it must be the DLM is doing it's trick. Keep checking the stats to see if you notice any difference in terms of connection speed as well as download speed. Also try NOT to do any manual resets/reboots, just leave the router on at all times. 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you this all makes sense. My speed has indeed gone up and sitting around 72mb download do just a few mb off where it was. Interestingly SNR is still stubbornly high at 19.8db but not at the high of 21 it was last week.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@pembssurf 

as your attainable speed is well above the max attainable of 80mb you will always have a high noise margin unless the 80mb fibre 2 cap is removed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.