cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
takkischitt
Message 1 of 25

Neighbours have ultrafast fibre 300Mb available, our house (new build) only slow broadband available

Our house is a new build that was built beside some properties that have been there for longer. When I search for our postcode, then select our address (no. 9), only basic broadband is available and it is painfully slow. When I search for our postcode, then select a neighbours address (no. 7), they have ultrafast fibre 300Mb available.

When the engineer was out connecting us up, he said that the cabinet/exchange was literally right beside us, so there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to get fibre also. He said it would probably just need to be enabled on the system/database.

Can anyone confirm/help in advising how to go about seeing if this can be carried out, as the standard broadband is pretty poor, in this day and age.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Neighbours have ultrafast fibre 300Mb available, our house (new build) only slow broadband avail

@takkischitt 

Is anything like this already installed in your house?

new ONT.jpg

It would have been the developers who would have arranged this with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Arrowsmith
Message 3 of 25

Re: Neighbours have ultrafast fibre 300Mb available, our house (new build) only slow broadband avail

Hey Takkischitt,

You can definitely call BT and they will be able to assist you further on this.

It should just be a case of updating the systems if the engineer has visited and found the line is capable of providing this. There are no guarantees but it's certainly worth a try to get those speeds.

Hope this helps,

- Arrowsmith

0 Ratings
takkischitt
Message 4 of 25

Hi @Keith_Beddoe

No, we don't have a box like that in our house.

There is a double socket, pretty sure it looks like this (I'm in work now, so can't check, but I think this is it).

71JOARuFjJL._SL1500_.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 25

That is just a standard copper connection.

What does it show on this checker, if you use your BT  Retail phone number?

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Do not post your number on this forum, just the results of the checker.

0 Ratings
takkischitt
Message 6 of 25

Hi @Arrowsmith 

Sorry, I should have mentioned. I have enquired about getting fibre with BT and other providers, and they all basically said it's Openreach that need to sort it. But I can't seem to find a way to get Openreach to look into this and was hoping someone may have a suggestion to speed up the process.

0 Ratings
takkischitt
Message 7 of 25

@Keith_Beddoe 

Please find a screenshot of the requested information below...

Annotation 2019-11-05 103247.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

once you have phone line conencted then openreach database will be updated  using the link posted by @Keith_Beddoe  will show what is available to you  until that is updated by openreach not BT retail you will not be able to order FTTP/G.Fast

dslchecker does not show any fibre connection - which exchange and cab are you on?

from checker you appear to have a 23mb conenction speed so must literally be on top of the exchange

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

@takkischitt 

Do you have a working BT Retail phone line yet?

This forum cannot help if you choose a different provider.

As @imjolly  has said, once the phone line is active, then you will have more options available.

0 Ratings
takkischitt
Message 10 of 25

@pompey1898 / @imjolly 

Please see the screenshot above.

0 Ratings