cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Netgear DM200 Replacing Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Hi,

I currently have a BT home hub 5 and an Orbi mesh network (1 router and satellites.) I am fed up with various niggles, not least of which is the damn BT wifiX that keeps coming back to haunt me. So having read all sorts of reviews, I bought the DM200 to replace the BT HH5.

My question, is do I just plug it in or are there various bits of data I need from BT to make this work? Given both my wife and I are working from home, this is a high risk time to make the change! and I wanted to get any information ready up front.

Thanks,

Nicholas

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Netgear DM200 Replacing Home Hub 5

Go to solution

If you are using the DM200 in bridge mode, the only thing you might have to configure is the VLANid which is 101.

Having said that, the DM200 doesn't have a particularly good reputation, you would probably be better with an Openreach Huawei HG612 from ebay.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi Licquorice,
Thanks for that. I have the DM200 to hand so will try that first and then if not, will buy the Huawei unit. A quick question on that though. On eBay, I can see units for £18 or so 3B but also one that is £30 or so that is the same unit but advertised as 'Unlocked'. Should I go with the more expensive one, or can I unlock the unit myself? and it is advertised as the latest firmware. Is that all relevant?

Thanks.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

1. There is no need for an unlocked one, it just gives access to line stats if required.

2. Unlocking is trivial so no need to pay extra.

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks. Will see how the DM200 goes but if it fails as badly as the HH5, then will head to eBay.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings