cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Netgear NightHawk X4S router

Go to solution

I am using the above router, as I was unimpressed with the BT Home hub. The netgear router works fines, but I get constant drops in connection. A long time ago I got an email from BT saying that I needed to change some settings on my router to prevent this happening. I wondered if anyone here would be able to tell me what these settings were and would be able to help me.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Netgear NightHawk X4S router

Go to solution

There are no settings you can make on your router that will prevent dropouts.

If you are getting dropouts it suggests you have a line fault. Is there any noise on your line with a quiet line test 17070?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I can detect no sound with the test

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

So is that it, just mysterious drops, the quiet test is...….dead quiet

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

The quiet line test is just one method of trying to identify a line fault, with a noisy line drop outs are highly likely.

Given there is no noise, the fault needs further investigation. If you still get drop outs when connected to the test socket with a new filter, you need to report the fault.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Mark2015 and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having a few problems. Are you connected wireless or via cable? Do the light on the router change when the connection drops? If it's a wireless problem are you able to change wireless channels?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I am connecting wirelessly, with a Netgear extender, as the router is in the adjacent  room to my PC, so cannot see what the lights are doing.

I have been reading Netgear forums and dropping conn seems to be a common problem.

I have just upgraded the firmware this morning and am waiting to see if this improves things

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back @Mark2015. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

The firmware update has cured all the problems. I was reticent about it as some more recent Netgear firmware has had bad feedback, but all fine now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@Mark2015, that's great thanks for keeping the thread updated.

0 Ratings