cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveChapman
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Never been so fedup with an ISP provider...

Ok a long story short,
In the happy days I was on ADSL2+ a nice 20meg down and 1.5 up never any issues,

I then had a letter through the door advertising BT Infinity with the promise of super fast internet speed!
I of course signed up and for the 1st month or so not an issue but then... About 3-4 weeks ago struggled to run two steams at once, one being iPlayer in HD and the other being LoveFilm IN THE EVENINGS. I left it for a few weeks hoping the issue would resolve its self e.g. BT notice the fault at exchange or something and apply a fix.

Well nothing happened so I spoke with BT over the support chat feature and the asked be to carry out the basic's eg reboot rooter, change cable etc I happily carried this out hoping for a fix but nope.. I then though I'd buy a Draytek 2860 that's supports VDSL2. I 1st connected the Draytek using the WAN port to replace the BT home hub with still the same issues, I then preceded to plug the line in to the VDSL port and bypass the modem box from open reach. To still have the same issues and many more days have passed with still the same issue of slow speeds. I bit the build and chatted again with BT hoping for help around 2pm yesterday and as the issue only happens from around 4:30pm onwards they was unable to help as they could see no fault. I then spoke again with BT in the evening when the slow speeds were happening but again they could find no fault...

BT promised to call me back in 24 hours but as usual no phone call (not the 1st time this has happened) anyways another 50 mins on the phone for them to say again there is no fault.. The sync speeds are 37820 down and 7388 up and the sync never changes..

This is the point I become fedup as they can find no fault.. Download speeds are as follows from
Microsoft volume licensing are 5-6meg down
BT cloud 5-6meg
All speed tests are around the same speed http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3384531694
Downloading from my own personal web server 5-6 meg
Think broadband download test file 1GB file 5-6 meg

Everything I try is the same YET the BT wholesale speed test show it at 37Meg..

Due to this showing 37meg BT want nothing to do with it my guess is there speed test is not affected by traffic management so this is why there speed test is fine.

The one thing that frustrated me to the point of just wanting to give up is BT said I need to speak to the exchange as it out of there hands... So BT provide me with a service that cost more and runs over twice as slow as my old ADSL2+

I can telnet to my draytek and physically see what traffic is going on in my network and all tests were carried out on CAT5e cable from draytek to the PC all other device were off including turning off WiFi on the router.

So in brief sync speed is 37 meg through day it's 37 meg come 4:30 it's starts crashing till 6 where it becomes unstable with speeds between 2.5 meg to 7 meg..
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
SteveChapman
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Never been so fedup with an ISP provider...

I was also told by BT over the phone they only guarantee sync speeds and throughput issues are not there issue.. I would totally understand if this was one or two sites as in the server is having throughput issues as this is out of BTs hands but it's not it's everywhere I try everything I download or try to stream.

I would love some help or advice as at the moment the phone calls are getting me no where,

Long an short of it I pay more for what seems to be a rubbish service
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

have a look through this thread, it may be related to your problem.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Infinity-2-Speeds-drop-heavy-in-evenings/td...

SteveChapman
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Thanks for the thread I two am in Nuneaton and I am totally appalled by the lack of response, willingness to help and asking a customer to basically lump it and get on with it... I can't believe they can treat customers this way... Speechless, this is not to say all the BT support is like this but the people you speak to on the support chat and on the phone don't seem to know much about how to fix issues... If I didn't work for KJLTD.co.uk my self and support networks for multi million £ franchises I would stand even less of a chance at getting my issues sorted. As it was I had to fight and fight to get a manager to call me back tomorrow. If we treated our customers this way we would have none left...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

You should post on that thread so that you can follow what is happening. A modertor is aware of the problems on that thread and I would imagine that he will chase it up and post back updates if he learns anything. It may be a capacity issue at the exchange which will need to be investigated by Openreach.

0 Ratings
SteveChapman
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

You just become another number in a thread like that.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

It's up to you but I suspect you won't get much more than what I have given you on this thread.

0 Ratings
Sparky225
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

As you have seen from the link to the other thread, this peak time slow down seems to be a major problem for BT, its been going all month, and it seems a nationwide problem.

Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

posting on the other thread is going to be the best chance of getting an answer to your problem as the forum mod team are already involved there
fundog67
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

From what i believe the bt speed test takes the max speed on burst and not the average speed like all the others do,, most will give a burst but then settle on what your REAL speed is,

Bt speed test is about 12 MB above every other tester i have used so i dont believe a word of it, I am trying to get a reset just now as i heard the dlm is limiting me and probly always will ..

0 Ratings