cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Farsider
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New BT Infinity 1 customer - extreme upstream problems

Hello everyone. Need some help and advice.

I'm a new customer to BT coming from Sky's ADSL service to BT Infinity 1. Smarthub arrived on time and everything was connected on schedule. I've had the service for 2 weeks now and comparing actual my connection with what was suggested on sign up is quite disappointing. I get:

38Mb down

800Kb up (yes Kb)

Here's what i should be getting

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 16.40.41.png

I called BT to raise a fault. They ran tests on my line and said there was a problem and an engineer would visit. An Openreach Phone engineer arrived, took one look at the problem and said he couldn't help as he was a Phone engineer only. I needed a Broadband Engineer. He tests the line from a phone point of view and said everything was a-ok.

Went back to BT. Logged another fault. More tests were run but these came back fine. Re-iterated the problem and they agreed to send a Broadband engineer this time. Openreach Broadband engineer turned up as scheduled, replaced my master socket and said he couldn't find a fault. Download speed was within acceptable limites and whilst he agreed the upload speed wasn't right, there was nothing he could do to help as he can only deal with download issues. He said the SNR ratio was fine (its was 7), and his little gadget he plugs into the line said everything was good. I asked whether he could reset the DLM on the line. He said engineers like him can't do that and I have to call BT. He recommended waiting 2-3 days to see if the upstream bandwidth improved (it hasn't).

Called BT again - this time they said my Smarthub is faulty and I needed a new one. That arrived today, plugged it in. Same problem. Actually, I get 2Mb less on the downstream now, same slow upsteam.

Here's some other stats:

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 16.39.57.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 14.50.47.png

The noise profile on my upstream looks excessively highly. My Smarthub is plugged into the new Master Socket BTO installed.

I'm at my wits end now. I've been a new customer of BT Retail and its nothing but problems.

What can I do to get this resolved?

Many thanks

Anthony

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New BT Infinity 1 customer - extreme upstream problems

A DLM reset likely would have resolved it and the second engineer absolutely could have reset it for you.

You have two choices.

Wait, and DLM will do its thing and the speed will come back, this could take weeks.

Or, push BT for another engineer and request a DLM reset when they turn up.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Farsider
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Webby. I suspected as much that a BTO engineer could reset the DLM. I have tried pushing for another engineer but as there is no fault, the peeps at BT CS won't arrange one.

Reason they gave was that BT only guarantee the downstream, not the upstream. I said the upstream wasn't just slow its been artificially throttled so low the connection is close to unusable when the family jump on it.

They reiterated there is no upstream guarantee and now I'm stuck. I can't convince them this is actually a fault and not a result of my distance from the cab.

Are the mods around to help me push this through at all?

Thanks
Anthony

0 Ratings
Farsider
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

4 days since this last post, my line stability has dropped dramatically. I now lose sync 5-10 times per day everyday. My Smarthub shows an orange light more than the expected Blue one.

Logged another Fault with Customer Services. Again they can't find any fault on the line and say it must be the Smarthub. They are sending yet another one. This will be the 3rd SmartHub in 2 weeks.

As my frustrations grows, I borrowed a Draytek 2860 and plugged it in to get some more information on my line. Here's the output:

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 15.40.02.png

These stats are after just 60 seconds of connectivity using the Draytek. You can see the high number of errors in the line and the line is on Interleave rather than what I believe should be Fast Path.

I went back to Customer Services - they run another test in the line, no fault found despite the information I gave them. They now tell me I have to wait almost 2 weeks (15th September to be exact) before I can speak to an Engineering team. In the meantime, I now have basically no service. Its either dropped completely or because of the 700Kb upstream, barely usable.

This is utter madness. Clearly there is a fault on my line and I'm getting nowhere with CS.

Please can the mods help me get my case looked at by someone who understands what's going in please. 

Many thanks

Anthony

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 7

A mod should be along shortly.

Message 6 of 7

Hi @Farsider,

I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry your service hasn't been repaired. I'll be able to run a few checks on your line and arrange an engineer if needed. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Highlighted
Farsider
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for your support @PaddyB. Webform completed.

0 Ratings