cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RiceBucket
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New BT Infinity 2 Customer - Will I get any faster?

Hello, I am a new BT Infinity 2 customer and was wondering if you can check these settings and configuration. 

I was hoping to achieve up to 70Mbit. I am capping out at about 55-60Mbit. Slightly disappointed because I have moved away from 100Mbit cable area. Is this the best I can do? TIA. Installation completed on the 12th May.

BTEstimate.jpg

HomeHub5.jpg

speedtest.png

BTWholeSale.jpg

dslchecker.jpg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gravy1
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: New BT Infinity 2 Customer - Will I get any faster?

No Isp can guarantee any speed so it is always upto xxmb but you should definitely always get between 40 and 60 and as long as you accept that is ok and acceptable to BT then all is fine. I've been here 15 months and the speeds seem to stay stable for months then slowly drop 3mb here and there from 72mb until it gets to around 50mb then I ring BT who say that is perfect and my line has never been any faster than 50mb but a visit from an engineer gets the speeds back up. At present mine just dropped from 68 to 46 over night but I think that's normal and perhaps most people only check speeds when they have a problem rather than log speeds weekly, I like to see if I'm getting the service for which I pay.

The fly in the ointment is that at 40+mb I should still be able to record BT sport but it fails or part records.

I'm 3 months from end of contract and always switch ISP's as you get more as a new customer than a loyal customer. VM currently offer similar to what I have for almost half my bt bill.

Although you have moved from a 100Mb area it's swings and roundabouts. VM give you fast speeds and throttle you down very quickly (especially in over subscribed areas where they still take more customers on !!!!) Bt is slower but no throttling and although the speed does vary constantly for some and DLM can be a little bit over intrusive.... I reckon infinity 2 customers would average around 54mb so VM and BT would roughly get similar dl speeds over a year of heavy use.

Just my opinion ! so if both suppliers offer the (virtually) same package, change and save money Smiley Happy

Far too old and fat to be riding very fast motorcycles...... but I do.
0 Ratings
ubysam
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Looking at your SNR - 5.4 - you wont be able to go any faster and unless your line is rock solid you may find youactually loose some speed soon in favour of snr 

0 Ratings
RiceBucket
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

What should the SNR be? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

The target is 6 at sync time.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
RiceBucket
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

How do I reduce the noise margin on the line? So it's pretty bad in my case?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

You mean increase it, as 5.4 is less than 6?
You can't, it's set at sync time; the only way to change it is to resync your modem with the cab which you can force by powering it off and on.

However, DLM controls your connection and can alter your connection profile to change your sync speed and/or noise margin in response to errors and disconnections.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings