cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

New Broadband connection

Hi, I had my BT Broadband connected last week, and it has been rock solid.

However, it is much slower than Sky.

Years ago, broadband was connected at either 40/10 or 80/20 at the exchange, is this still the case?

I was getting approx 52down 6up from Sky, but around 34down, 5up from BT.

Before I moved here 2years ago, an old lady lived here for 60 years and never had a phone service, so there was no record for the address.

When connecting to BT I was told I would have a like for like connection, however now BT are saying no, my line can't handle such speed..

It was fine with sky, never dropped, the issue was the handling of my billing.

I'll copy my router stats below.

Connection type:

Fibre Broadband (VDSL)

Firmware version:

v0.17.01.12312-BT

Firmware updated:

1-Dec-2020

Serial number:

+091298+1908021892

Downstream sync speed:

39.735 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:

5.613 Mbps

Network uptime:

4 Days, 01 Hours 14 Minutes

System uptime:

4 Days, 01 Hours 15 Minutes

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: New Broadband connection

Product code:Smart Hub 2
Serial number:+091298+1908021892
Firmware version:v0.17.01.12312-BT
Firmware updated:Tue Dec 1 09:21:08 2020
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019
DSL uptime:4 days,01 Hours19 Mins47 Secs
Data rate:5.613 Mbps / 39.735 Mbps
Maximum data rate:5.749 Mbps / 45.403 Mbps
Noise margin:6.1 / 4.8
Line attenuation:7.4 / 22.3
Signal attenuation:7.4 / 21.5
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@TorquayMarc 

Enter your phone number into this form and display the results here, but edit out your phone number before you post the results.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 4 of 11

Here you are.  Cheers.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) TorquayMarc_0-1607523477428.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) TorquayMarc_1-1607523477436.gif
4031.48.15.127.4AvailableAvailable--
39.127.47.94.721.5AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+WBC ADSL2+ Annex MADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 12.5--8 to 15AvailableAvailable--
Up to 12.5Up to 18 to 15AvailableAvailable--
Up to 5.5--4.5 to 8AvailableAvailable--
2----AvailableAvailable--
2----Available----
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
U
--
--
--
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

as you can see your estimated speed is 40/31mb and you currently are at top of range with 39mb.  not much more scope for any speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 11

These estimated figures are reduced downwards, as more people connect to the cabinet. This is due to interference (crosstalk) between customer connections, so your original Sky connection was probably when there were fewer customers on the cabinet.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

So, from 9am... when Sky was disconnected... to 0930 when BT was connected... all of a sudden my cabinet became over-crowded?  Blimey, I know Torbay Council like to throw up new builds..  but wow, impressive.

Like I said, there was never, to my knowledge, a phone line to my address.

The only history is Sky.

My question stands, the database is incorrect, how can I challenge it?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Deleted

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

When you line was disconnected from SKY and moved to BT, DLM would have been reset. Your noise margin is currently 4.8dB, when DLM reduces that to 3dB you will get an increase in speed. Possibly not to 52, but more than 39.

It has nothing to do with any database.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

You are connected to the same cabinet on the same type of equipment that is provided by Openreach , so you should get approximately the same speed from any provider providing you buy the same ‘product’, your router stats are in keeping with the estimate for your line, so how did Sky give you way more than what OR predict ?, for clarity the estimate isn’t used by the equipment to limit what you get , the equipment delivers the best performance your line is capable of , if you were close to the cabinet and on an 80Mb profile then that’s what you would get...a database error showing lower wouldn’t somehow reduce the speed.

When you enquired with BT you would have been given an estimate, if your speed is close to that estimate you don’t really have a compliant and if you want to re join Sky you would have to consider the ETC, if the estimate was much higher you should report that , and if the speed cannot be improved you get to leave penalty free.....TBH, if you did rejoin Sky , chances are you would get the speed you have , not the speed you used to get, unless you have some saved router stats or speed tests, it’s going to be difficult to convince anyone you used to get 52Mb