Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User12347
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

New Bt Infinity Install - Installation Help

Go to solution

We are due to have bt infinity installed on Tuesday 17th June and i simply cannot wait will be fantastic to get rid of 1.2mb broadband and get something thats alot faster and useable.

However i have a question.

Our builder has been extremely lazy when installing our internal telephone connections both of them, we have one faceplate in the hallway and another in the upstairs living room. However both are connected directly outside the house from the BT cable part.

I'll attach a picture so you can see what i mean.

My question is how will the bt engineer go about sorting this out as i dont want any problems with infinity and want to get the fastest speeds possible. Also the really annoying thing is alot of houses on our estate have external NTE boxes, accept for a few of us, including us.

2013-07-09-15.06.20.jpg

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: New Bt Infinity Install - Installation Help

Go to solution
you should not be touching those connections leave it to the Openreach engineer to sort out it is their job
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

From the wall plugs looks like you may have had a 'grey box' at one time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ubysam
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

That is what they call 'star wiring' and will need to be sorted (quite easily) when you have infinity installed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Star Wiring, your builder is a two bit anchor, you can tell him that from me... Check your house for other places he's probably cut corners on...

Anyway, the engineer will get rid of it. Personally I would convert whatever socket you want the home hub at into the NTE then run another wire back to the capping where it's starred then crimp it through and make the other socket an extension and put a LJU3 on it.

Easy enough, depending on the layout or your house it might need a bit of internal and external cabling but I can't see that being a problem seen as most Middle Englanders would do anything so they can stream TV shows like Posh Pawn and Pawn Stars in HD...
0 Ratings
User12347
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

So i have been connected this morning, and the engineer didnt make any changes to the external wiring.

He just installed a new VDSL faceplate in the hall way, connected me and then left.

So im still star wired outside the front of my property.

He even told me that i didnt need to leave an adsl filter plugged in, in my living room but i have as dont want noise on the line.

Bit annoying really he should have fixed the wiring, to give me the best possible speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
sounds like a contractor install
0 Ratings
ubysam
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

why am i not surprised,

did you previously use the socket in the hallway and/or would you have wanted the hub in living room?

if so it would have taken all but 5 minutes to identify the feed to the living room, disconnect the hallway and re-crimp outside.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
User12347
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

The socket in the hall way is the closet socket to the external wiring and has the phone plugged into it, along with the home hub via the new vdsl face plate.

The socket in the living room has all of the sky boxes connected to it.

Its really annoying as there is still noise on the line when using the landline phone and its too quiet to hear anyone, and the VDSL connection keeps dropping and wont go above 35mbps download on sync speed. When i run speedtest.net its not even going about 12mbps download speed.

I've emailed BT to complain and asked for a free engineer visit to fix it. But if they wont come out im left doing it myself. So i could do with some advice.

1. working out which internal line goes where is fairly easy
  2. the other wires coming out of the white one, theres an orange (bell wire) green & white, and a white one
  3. Of those three wires, can any of them carry voice data, so i were to connect them together outside the property, and then internally on the new filtered faceplate and then again in the living room would this work?

Reason i ask that is because the cabling is already there internally

1. and all i would need to do would be directly connect the main BT cable to the internal cable for the hallway through new jelly crimps
  2. and then connect the others together outside the property with a jelly crimp. And then just internally on the faceplate in living room and then internally in the hallway.
  3. then there would only be one line coming into the property, reducing the noise and interference.

Sounds bout of a way to go around the houses how ive explained it but makes sense to me

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

As john46 said, I would STRONGLY suggest you leave it to the openreach engineer to sort out your connection. They would be best equipped to ensure you get the best connection available for your line........including making sure that the external wiring is properly weatherproofed........Smiley Wink 

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings