Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dragonx41
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

New Build FTTP/H in Utility Cupboard

Go to solution

Hi All

Wonder if any one can assist?  I an activating today and the BT ONT (Huawei 1 Port all in One enclosure) is in the utility cupboard which has the Boiler and Water Tank and Washine Machine.  

I was hoping not to put the Smart Hub in there as it cabnet can get bit a toasty.

So I was thinking I have a pair of Netgear PLP1000 Gigabit Powerline Ethernet adaptors. I was hoping to use them to bridge the connection between PORT1 of the ONT and Smart Hub between my Utility cupboard and my bedroom.

BT ONT---->Powerline Adaptor 1------->Powerline Adaptor 2--------> Ultrafast Smart Hub

This would reduce any clutter and give the smart hub a clearer field to broadcast the signal.  This will also save hassle of getting an engineer out onsite to Move the ONT.

Would this setup be possible?  or is the Red WAN Cable a propietary cable and not a Cat5e ethernet?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Build FTTP/H in Utility Cupboard

Go to solution

The red WAN cable is a CAT5e with coloured ends. Is there no ethernet patch panel in the utility cupboard?

Are there any ethernet sockets in any of the rooms?

dragonx41
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@pippincpwrote:

The red WAN cable is a CAT5e with coloured ends. Is there no ethernet patch panel in the utility cupboard?

Are there any ethernet sockets in any of the rooms?

Thanks for the reply . Unfortunately No,l Bellway built these properties the put a load of BT Phone sockets in the house and there are no ethernet sockets installed in the house hence powerline.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Powerline adaptors should work, they are designed to extend the LAN but can be used for the WAN.

Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Bellway homes only did half a job then.

2018-09-25 17_13_30-Fibre network guide - fibre_developer_handbook.pdf.png

dragonx41
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

So I am finally setup with the power config as mentioned in my 1st post and getting around 290/310 and a solid 50 

Many Thanks for all the replies.

0 Ratings