cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hmfcriley
Message 1 of 9

New Build FTTP - What speeds can I expect?

Moving into a new build towards the end of the year. The spec sheet of the house is detailed as having: "Broadband via Fibre to the Premises FTTP via BT Openreach"

Just trying to gauge what kind of speeds I'd be expecting to get... Based on the postcode it looks like we'd be in between the Armadale and Bathgate exchanges with Armadale having FTTP enabled and Bathgate having FTTC enabled, although I'd suspect we're probably closer to the Bathgate exchange.

Obviously no information about what cabinets we'd likely be connected to as of yet.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Build FTTP - What speeds can I expect?

If your new property is being installed with FTTP then the speeds with FTTP isn't effected by distance from the exchange like ADSL broadband and nor is it effect by distance from the cabinet like FTTC broadband.

The speeds you can get with FTTP depends on what service level you get. The current highest sercice level with FTTP is up to 330mbps downstream and up to 30mbps upstream

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

That's the current highest service level with Openreach, however other FTTP providers are faster.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 9

Correct ray_dorset, though other FTTP providers are probably using P2P and Openreach are using GPON which could explain the diffenece in speeds between Openreach FTTP and other FTTP providers.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
hmfcriley
Message 5 of 9

Which would be perfect for me, however, my concern is that from the information I've got at the moment the Bathgate exchange doesn't provide FTTP.

Is it likely Openreach would install FTTP on a house that is likely to be connected to an exchange without it enabled? Having done searches on some of the properties that are now finished on the same estate BT states they're connected to Bathgate with a max speed of around 2 Mbps, which is obviously a big difference from googling FTTP and being told it can reach speeds of 330Mbps. Obviously this is just based on house number/postcode as opposed to their landline.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 9

With FTTP the exchange doesn't matter as the fibre connection can be supplied from a nearby exchange.

If the specs for the house say FTTP supplied by Openreach then it will be there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
xanxion
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Theoretically, the fibre line direct to the home has a maximum of over 30gbit depending on various factors, but as has been said the actual maximum is around 330mbit down 30mbit up.

Once you get past 1gbit down however you run in to new problems, for example even the most modern of laptops/pc's will only handle a wired connection up to 1gbit so anything higher is limited by your networking hardware.

At the same time once you reach around 450mbit, you start to approach the writing limitation of mechanical hard drives, unless you have an SSD or SSD/HDD hybrid drive with a decent sized write cache, you won't see much benefit unless splitting network load across storage devices.

I say this from experience!, I used to live in the UK running BT Infinity, and despite being 40 or so meters from the local box still managed to get near enough full offered speed, but since moving to Japan i've been enjoying this connection, which is provided by So-Net Nuro Hikari, running on GPON:

As it's an entirely new build with the FTTP already setup, you should be good to go and top out just about any service you subscribe to, more accurately, if the FTTP is connected to Armadale, you will get faster service over FTTP to that exchange, than you will with FTTC to Bathgate.

0 Ratings
hmfcriley
Message 8 of 9

Developer is now saying that the houses will have FTTP installed but Fibre isn't available in the area. What's the best way to try and confirm when it will be available (if at all)?

Having checked the openreach site for the existing houses that have already been built, the postcode checker isn't recognising.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 9

You could try the FTTP sales team on 0800 587 4787.

0 Ratings