cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

New Build and FTTP

Hi there,

A familiar topic it seems. We moved into a new build a couple of months ago. Before purchasing the house, we checked the postcode on Openreach's availability checker. Our address wasn't listed (being a new build) but the checker informed us other addresses on the road could get FTTP. The developer had a survey of the site done by Openreach, and they stated that the preferred method of installation is overhead. However, Openreach made no mention in this letter if they were specifically referring to copper.

We successfully ordered a copper connection (after registering our address with Royal Mail) with the expectation that we could upgrade to FTTP,  and indeed the Openreach engineer who installed the copper told us we'd be able to get FTTP.

However, now our address appears in the Openreach checker it says FTTP isn't available to our property and it's not available for us to order with BT. BT raised the issue with Openreach, and their reply to BT was that fibre isn't available in our area and we should consider the Community Fibre Partnership.

This is patently incorrect. On the poles lining our road are labels saying "Caution: Overhead Fibre". I can see a fibre distribution point on the pole immediately adjacent to the pole our copper line connects to. If I use BT's wholesale broadband checker for our address I get this:

*** The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available. ***

But if I select the address of the property that's 15 metres away, I get this:

*** The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Dpole Hoist required.ONT exists with active service. No spare ports are available. A new ONT may be ordered. ***

Both properties are connected to the same cabinet. We don't have an underground duct, but I assume that "OH Dpole" for the other property means overhead installation from the pole distribution point is possible.This seems like Openreach's records aren't quite up to date or accurate enough.

Does anyone know if it's possible for us to somehow get Openreach to update their records or do another survey? Or is it just a case of waiting for their systems to update? Or are we stuck in an infinite bureaucratic loop, and will only ever be able to look at optical fibres and never take advantage of them? (We haven't had much luck with their online forms because they keep telling us they need to see an order for FTTP, which we can't place.)

Thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Build and FTTP

have you tried phoning the FTTP TEAM 08005874787 and see if they can help

can you enter your phone number and post result

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Hi imjolly,

I've lost track of the phone numbers I've been calling. I was passed to the connections team this morning who will ask Openreach about FTTC, which probably isn't very useful. 

Results using our phone number gives the same for our postcode (screenshot attached):

Screenshot 2021-04-20 at 15.18.09.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

if you are unsure of having called the FTTP TEAM then try the number and see if they can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I called the FTTP team and attempted to place a fibre order (again) and it started off the usual way: "Openreach says no"... but after a little persistence I was passed to a very helpful lady in Dundee who says that there is a mismatch in Openreach's records and she has contacted them to start the process of rectifying it. So, fingers crossed...

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

You don't mention when your phone line was installed. If in the last 7 days your number may have missed the weekly database update. Check again next Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Ah, phone line was installed middle of March.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Then ring the FTTP team on the number @imjolly has given you. Ask them to request an ORDI.

0 Ratings