Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grobbendonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

New Build - any options to get Fibre?

Go to solution

Hi there,

I'm not sure if anyone can help or give any advice.

We are soon to move into a new build house on a site of 10 new houses.

Our village has Fibre Broadband.

We have just found out when calling BT to change our service to the new house that the site doesn't have fibre. When we asked the builders about this they said that "we did get a quote from BT when the site was first set up but it was too expensive as they make a large charge to new homes sites of less than 30 houses. So we decided to go with normal broadband." Now the site is pretty much finished so all the cabling has been laid.

Our current house has fibre, and the village phone cabinet is FTTC enabled but it seems that the new site which is very close to our current house only has standard broadband.

Does anyone know if we have any options to get fibre at our new house as opposed to standard broadband?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: New Build - any options to get Fibre?

Go to solution

Hi there @Grobbendonk

Can you check something, go to the BT DSL Checker and select the option for Address (not postcode) and put in your address, what does it say is available?  If you are confident to, take a screen shot and remove the address info, like this: 

11CT_Address_FTTC.JPG

If there is a number connected to the property you can also use that in the 1st option on the screen. 

If you can't do a screen shot, then copy and paste in the info, just remove the number or address. 

We can then see what can be offered exactly. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Grobbendonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @CJT80, thanks for the reply. See below details as requested. Hope this helps?

BroadbandChecker.JPG

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

@Grobbendonk

I thought as much, it's On Demand.  Have a look here at ISP Review for more information.   It's basically a service where you "can" get FTTP but you pay for the installation costs, and you are limited in the 1st year as to who you can use for the service. 

Once the 12 months has passed you can move to another provider (such as BT) but it is not offered by BT at this time. 

I hope this clarifies it for you. 

EDIT: Is there anything listed Above the FTTP on demand box, like in my picture. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Grobbendonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for the help, @CJT80.

I thought as much that this is the only option... I'll look into it but I believe it's very pricy?

There's nothing listed in abive the FTTP on demand box...

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

@Grobbendonk

Thanks, well it's around £250 + VAT for a survey to establish the cost to install.  However IF you went ahead that's deducted from the install cost.  If you didn't go ahead, you loose the £250 + VAT.

Have you tried any other properties in the same postcode area?  Basically use the address checker, but ONLY put in the post code, and see what other address' come up, maybe one has had a line installed and their availability will show up.  You might be able to get FTTC which potentially is faster than ADSL broadband. 

Just a thought. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

I very much suspect that as the builds are new the address doesn't figure in Openreaches database so they don't know how far from the cabinet you are. When it does you will probably find FTTC will be available to you.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

How far away from cabinet 3 are you? If the cabinet is fibre (VDSL) enabled the fibre cabinet will be fairly near to it. It may well be the case that you are to far from the cabinet to get fibre. VDSL degrades faster then ADSL over distance.

0 Ratings
Grobbendonk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

@CJT80 - thanks, I checked all the plots on the new site and they all are the same as mine. Rather dissappointingly, all the houses surrounding the new plot all have fibre... Smiley Sad

@licquorice - thanks but why did the builders say we couldn't get fibre as they didn't pay for the line installation?

@gg30340 - I believe it's about 300m away? There are houses that are further away that have fibre...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

If you are only 300m from the cabinet you will have no problem getting fibre if it is available but at the moment I would suspect that what licquorice said is most likely.

FTTC it means that you have Fibre to the Cabinet,  it then goes by copper phone lines to your property. As the homes become occupied and phone lines installed you will probably find that FTTC will be avaiable, assuming you are connected to the cabinet that you believe is fibre enabled.