cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

New Build house move

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help.

So we're due to move to a new build house on a small new build estate next week (not a mainstream developer), the area gets fibre broadband I think and the housing estate is a decent value so I don't think they'd have cut corners in their part of connecting to the net work.

When I tried to add fibre I could and it said I'd only get 1-5mb's. After some faffing I called BT, the guy didn't seem the most clued up and eventually just said it was slots at the exchange. But I really wasn't convinced. I just did the checker and got the below, can anyone help me understand? I've read elsewhere that it might be because a phone's never been connected to the house, is that possible?

I'm tempted to go knock on my new next door and see what they get.

Any thoughts gratefully received

Paul

Address 9, on Exchange NARBOROUGH is served by Cabinet 5
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) 
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 
55.438.511.77.534.5Waiting listWaiting list
54.43511.6730Waiting listWaiting list
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 3.5--2 to 6Available
Up to 2.5--1.5 to 5Available
1----Available
1----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New Build house move

Your estimated speed range on FTTC  is 55/38mb but your cabinet is full so there is a waiting list and only option just now is adsl broadband with estimated speed range 2/6mb with expected 3.5mb. This applies to all ISP apart from virgin

you can get the adsl and keep checking and when you see FTTC available then place an order to upgrade 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

Argh. Which is what he said.

Do spots become available or is it dead mans shoes.

Thanks so much for responding, for now I've gone with a 4g provider through three as I don't think 5mbs is going to be enough with young kids... any suggestions gratefully received

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Oh and work said they could put a second line in for me, is that going to help or make it worse? assuming they would be on the same line/issue

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

A new line would connect to same cabinet so still waiting  list

Openreach do upgrade cabinets but no timescale so you need to keep checking for someone leaving/moving home so space becomes available and place order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

If it's the Narborough near Leicester that you're in then cabinet 5 is already planned for expansion so worst case you can order when that's completed. Check daily though as as soon as someone cancels their service then their port will become available.

Cabinet P5  FTTC Available from 7th December 2010, being expanded by March 2021, some with 18/2M product  Phase 5a 2011  657  Huawei  LE9 1TY 
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Oh that’s amazing.

yes it is that one.

Million door question would be, I’ve ordered a 4g home box from three, but it’s a 24m contract at £15 a month. Went with phone and got 25mbs outside the house he said you’d get better inside with more powerful box.

do I cancel that and hotspot the family for a few months as this says before March next year? Any thoughts welcomed, are BT on track with upgrades or has the virus slowed plans...

I would defo be taking out the fibre as soon as a slot came up either way.

grateful to you both for answers already

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Use the 4G but on a 1 month contract or even PAYG would be my suggestion as you know you will be soon able to get a good fixed broadband connection. That's what I've did when I moved into a new build last year.
I personally never really find even a good 4G connection a substitute for a decent fixed broadband connection due to latency spikes and the varying speeds depending on how busy the cell is.

Your VDSL estimates that you posted show you should get somewhere in the region of 40MBit but as you're on a Huawei cabinet most likely a bit higher, up towards 50MBit.
The advice above about getting a phone line installed with a basic ADSL service now, and therefore being a position to upgrade to FTTC quickly and nab a spare port is good in my opinion.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Sounds like a plan.

is there any advantage to doing through BT? Assuming the don’t do waiting lists or auto transfer. Other options are a bit cheaper but if sacrifice a few quid a month to be sure!

what did folk do before the internet 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

choose whichever ISP you want  the cabinet waiting list problem applies to them all

0 Ratings