Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 21 of 30

Re: New Build

Go to solution

TBH I don't think the developer has cabled you for FTTP. If the development is of 30 houses or more then Openreach will supply the infrastructure for free.

"Openreach will deploy FTTP, free of charge, into all new housing developments of 30 or more homes, registered from November. This means that at least 9 out of 10 new build homes could have access to free FTTP infrastructure if property developers register their scheme and contract with Openreach."

"For each new development, our dedicated New Sites Reception team will work with developers using the recently launched ‘Connectivity Assessment Tool’ to check the options for a particular site, and give a clear recommendation on the infrastructure that should be built. Once contracted, a dedicated field based co-ordinator will work with the Developer to lead them through the plan and build process."

0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 22 of 30

Go to solution
It's def fttp, Openreach have been in and installed the kit in our property. My point with the developer is that they should have started the process a whole lot earlier than they have. The development is one of the biggest in the area and kick started by the Homes and Communities agency.
0 Ratings
Karen5565
Message 23 of 30

Go to solution

Hi,

did you get this resolved?  I have a feeling I am moving to the same development as you and have been told by Sky Home Move that my new property isn't in the BT database.  The properties either side are showing and David Wilson are saying they registered all of them at the same time so not sure why mine is not showing.    

0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 24 of 30

Go to solution
Hi Karen, yes it was resolved DWH are less than helpful in resolving the problem, the site manager there is great though. You can only get fttp broadband with BT so won't be able to go to any other suppliers. The property is im sure connected by Openreach its BT consumer that mess it up. You will not be able to have Sky broadband.
0 Ratings
brad_face
Message 25 of 30

Go to solution

Hi,

My issue got resolved. I was forced to chase Barratt Customer care to tell them what to do. Openreach really do slack on the database part. Once they have installed the ONT modem box (white box) in your house and you'll have a flashing green light. A stable green light means you're connected and ready to raise a BT order. My green light was flashing for 2 weeks... this process was only meant to be 48 hours. So I chased Barratt Customer care and told them to tell Openreach to update the database so BT can process an order. This was done the next day.

Hope this helps and you get yours sorted quickly.

0 Ratings
Karen5565
Message 26 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks for the responses!

That's a right royal pain in the backside about Sky as I work for them and currently get it for free!!  Looks lilke I'll be forced down the BT route then.  I'll have a word with the guys at work and tell them to pull their finger out and get on it!

As long as I can get some sort of fibre installed by the time I move in (or not long after) I'll be happy...

0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 27 of 30

Go to solution
I've been told that it's unlikely Sky will provide fibre to the property, I've got everything else from them though. Once I spoke to my contacts at BT i was yo and running within 48hrs despite what the contracts manager at DWH said. I also helped with getting 4 others up and running.
0 Ratings
brad_face
Message 28 of 30

Go to solution

Yeah unfortunately you're stuck with BT if you want fibre. Hopefully this will change soon as being locked down with 1 supplier isn't good! They know you can't go anywhere else so will start charging you a fortune haha.

BT fibre to the door is damn good though. Been 100% reliable so far. I came from Virgin Media on 200mb so I was cautious about BT. Only can afford 50mb package at the moment... Crazy prices compared to Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 29 of 30

Go to solution

@brad_face wrote:

Yeah unfortunately you're stuck with BT if you want fibre. Hopefully this will change soon as being locked down with 1 supplier isn't good! They know you can't go anywhere else so will start charging you a fortune haha.

BT fibre to the door is damn good though. Been 100% reliable so far. I came from Virgin Media on 200mb so I was cautious about BT. Only can afford 50mb package at the moment... Crazy prices compared to Virgin Media.

No-one is "locked down" to one supplier. Any ISP can provide FTTP via the Openreach infrastructure. The fact that most choose not to is not BT's fault.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

Go to solution
'Yeah unfortunately you're stuck with BT if you want fibre. Hopefully this will change soon as being locked down with 1 supplier isn't good! They know you can't go anywhere else so will start charging you a fortune haha.

BT fibre to the door is damn good though. Been 100% reliable so far. I came from Virgin Media on 200mb so I was cautious about BT. Only can afford 50mb package at the moment... Crazy prices compared to Virgin Media.'

Openreach have to keep their FTTP pricing in line with their VDSL pricing, hence why the 200 and 330meg packages cost more. It wouldn't be fair to charge you say £25 for 330/30 and then charge a VDSL user £25 a month for 55/10.

Also you're not just limited to BT. Zen and Andrews & Arnold also do FTTP over the Openreach Network. If the likes of Sky and TALKTALK won't that's not BT's or Openreaches fault. The Wholesale Price is the same for all of them, they just chose not to resell it becaus then they'd have nothing to complain about.
0 Ratings