cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielWombwell
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

New Build

me and my misses have purchased a new build in doveridge park with david wilson homes, i asked about fibre internet and all she could tell me is that is have fibre from openreach, i asked if it would be telephone line or fibre to the house but she said she did not know, is there anyway of finding out?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: New Build

Hi @DanielWombwell

Funny enough I’ve just had the same experience at a house in Chelmsford. 

If you have an address you can always check the ultrafast checker. Most large developments now in  my area seem to include FTTP now 

BT Ultrafast

FTTP Team 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 3 of 12

Hello @DanielWombwell

Presuming the address has now gone live in the relevent systems you could try the Address Checker

Enter the postcode and select the address from the Drop Down menu. 

You should get some results like this: 

11CT_Address_FTTC.JPGFibre to the Cabinet

If it's FTTP it will say WBC FTTP at the top 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 12

Providing the developer registered the new build in the early stages and there are more than 30 plots then all will get FTTP.

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/news/more-new-build-sites-to-get-fttp-connection-for-free.asp...

0 Ratings
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

I always loved dealing with sales people who dont know what they are selling. 

It put us off several houses which we later found out was a very good thing as none had any fibre provided, 1 had a clause that said you had to get your services from a set provider for no less then 10 years (who charged £50 for basic adsl speeds) and one that didnt have any phone line at all (not even trunking).

Found this tho on the david wilson homes website help pages mind..........

https://www.dwh.co.uk/Help--support/Home-maintenance--snagging/Settling-into-your-new-home/

BT Phone and Broadband
Generally, our developments are served by infrastructure provided by BT Openreach. On occasion, it may not be possible to connect telephone or broadband services to the development and to individual properties in time for homeowners moving in. This is an issue for new homes and construction projects across the UK.

Before legal completion your sales adviser should be able to confirm the current status of your telephone and broadband and whether it will be connected. After legal completion, you should contact BT Openreach directly on 0800 023 2023.

almost sounds like deal with it yourself

0 Ratings
DanielWombwell
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

@Dean007 @AndyCoffin @pippincp @CJT80 that you very much for the replies i think the address are to new to be checked yet so i went back today as i couldnt get a reply through email. the woman says they come with openreach fibre optic installed but didn;t no if that was pure fibre or telephone line. i went had a look at the show home and took these pics can someone tell if this fibre or standard telephone lines?

20180714_121552.jpg

20180714_121648.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Yes that is FTTP, I can see they’ve used a hybrid of Connectorised and Legacy Fibre.

Openreach are only responsible for everything up to the ONT though, not the Data Wiring the Developer has put in, which is in the second picture.
DanielWombwell
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

@Starwire2000 ah thank you very much for the reply. the lady in the office says the fibre get installed in the cupboard under the stairs and thats all i could see that was in there so thought that had something to do with it

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Yeah, Developers have a tendency to put the ONT, Optical Network Termination Point either in the hallway, under the stairs or in the boiler cupboard, which I’ve seen quite a lot.

At least your Developers put Data Cabling in though. I recently went to one Estate, the Social Housing part and the Developer had put the ONT in the boiler cupboard in the small bedroom, they’d then put phone points all over the house but didn’t put a link cable between where the ONT was to the nearest phone Socket!

There was a bit of a tif going on between the residents, the site Developer and Openreach as to who was responsible for connecting up the phone sockets, the Developer was adamant it was us until I showed him the Developers Guide we provide them and which the clearly hadn’t bothered to read. Soon shut him up and we’ve not been called back since. 🤔
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 12