Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 30

Re: New Build

Go to solution
@rjdallaway

No point speaking to Sky. They don't offer FTTP service on Openreach's network.

Have you spoken to BT's FTTP team and given them the serial number from the ONT? They can pass it onto Openreach who should get the database updated.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 30

Go to solution
I'll never get that about Sky and TALKTALK. They **bleep** to high heaven that they want Openreach to put in an FTTP Network and where they do they say they don't want it.

It's like they want their cake, but they don't want to eat it.
brad_face
Message 13 of 30

Go to solution

I've given BT the serial number however they said it could take months..... not a great repsonse towards a new BT customer. 

0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 14 of 30

Go to solution
Thanks for the tip, strange as we were told we could have Sky
0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 15 of 30

Go to solution
Yes spoken to BT they deny all knowledge as well
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 30

Go to solution
'Thanks for the tip, strange as we were told we could have Sky'

No, the only place you'll get Sky FTTP is in York where they teamed up with CityFibre.

Although Sky announced they were not going to make any further investment in it.

They did Trial their own FTTP but it was a disaster. At first they went the underground route but soon realised just how expensive and time consuming it was.

They then went down the Overhead route and starting putting up Poles but in the places they put them the residents went ballistic and practically tore them down.

In the end Sky admitted they were giving up on building their own FTTP Network and instead would put pressure on Openreach to build one. But then not resell it when they did? 🙄
0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 17 of 30

Go to solution
Fttp just seems a complete waste of time to me, not helped by an awful builder. Should never have cabled for fttp if a service cant be provided. We've now been told there is no exchange for the fttp so why cable the property for it. So frustrating.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 30

Go to solution
Of course there's an exchange for FTTP.

What you've probably been told is that there's no cabinet (some people incorrectly call this an exchange), which is correct for FTTP, there are no cabinets. It's all done via nodes where are in underground joint boxes.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 30

Go to solution
FTTP will connect to an Exchange, not necessarily the local one but the Head End one.

All Exchanges are either Parent or Child.

You'll have one Parent Exchange where the Head End is and that's connected to the Trunk Network. The Parent will then link all of the smaller Child Exchanges together.

This is why BT want everyone on either VDSL/G.Fast/FTTP by 2025 as the lease for the Exchanges runs out and they're just to expensive to maintain.

Within 15 years they'll go from 5500 Exchanges to probably as little as 500.
0 Ratings
rjdallaway
Beginner
Message 20 of 30

Go to solution
Well this is Openreach that have said there isn't an exchange. I can only take them at their word. The builder has come back and provided another reason they need to do a light test. Personally i don't care what they need to do I just want a connection.
0 Ratings