cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
portlanders1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

New Customer - Slower Speeds offered than other providers

Possible glitch in their website perhaps? Noticed that BT will only offer me Superfast fibre upto 50mbps, and not their Superfast fibre 2/plus upto 67mbps. Whilst all other providers offer up to 70mbps, including my current provider, Sky, that does have 70mbps coming in to the router. I got no joy on the BT livechat for an explanation - infact they said all other providers are unreliable, and they offer reliable speeds!! BT were on my radar to swap services too, but having serious reservations, not only in the advertised speed, but the agents on live chat are abrupt, cold, and just uninterested... do they get any better if you join?
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: New Customer - Slower Speeds offered than other providers

Hi @portlanders1 

Welcome and thanks for posting!

Sorry you felt my colleagues were uninterested during the live chat you had with them.  I am sure that wasn't their intention.  It does look like a potential glitch.  What were you using to check your speed estimate?  Were you using your phone number or your address details?

If you're getting near the full speed on Superfast Fibre 2 with your current provider there is no reason why you wouldn't get that speed with BT Consumer as the fibre cab and everything would be the same and we always give you the fastest speed that your line will support.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
portlanders1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Thank Robbie, On the website i gave my telephone number and my address, same as was required when i spoke to the agent. I did ask the agent if it was a glitch, the reason i went on live chat, but she just repeated 49-50 maximum speed. Her: SUPERFAST FIBRE Your maximum download speed range 49Mb - 50Mb, super fast 2 plan are unavailable as the above is maximum your address can get. Me: yeah but that's not true, why can other providers give me greater speed on the same fibre network? Her: Every provide uses there equipment to offer services we use our and hence super fast and reliable even at peaktimes unlike others. Me : No, my 70mbps is reliable thank you. But you are saying there is no glitch and that is the maximum BT can offer me? Her: 49Mb - 50Mb maximum speed available. ... seems pretty uninterested to me to consider it's a glitch. Robbie, may i ask how i should proceed to get confirmation there is either a glitch, or confirmation that BT cannot match speeds of other providers?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

As you are not a BT customer you need to enter your address and then post results. This will show range of speed

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

The speed you get is determined by the laws of physics. If you get 70Mbps currently you will still get 70Mbps with BT, you will be using the same equipment (DSLAM) in the cabinet and the same pair of copper wires. There might be a very slight difference due to a different chipset in the home router but it will be only slight if at all.
portlanders1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 17

Apologies imjolly if i haven't done this correctly, or it hasn't displayed right - not done this before... VDSL Range A (Clean) 76.6 53.9 20 16.2 48.5 VDSL Range B (Impacted) 74 48.8 20 14.3 40 FTTP on Demand 330 30 WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6 -- 4 to 8 Available -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6 Up to 1 4 to 8 Available -- -- ADSL Max Up to 5 -- 3.5 to 7.5 Available -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Max Observed Downstream Speed (Mbps) 70.68 Max Upstream Observed Speed (Mbps) 20 Observed Date 2019-05-11
0 Ratings
portlanders1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

licquorice, I like that idea, but surely the speed will be capped to the speed of the package, otherwise we would all be ordering the cheapest package with the slowest speed but getting a lot faster? Sorry, but my situation is that the fastest packages are showing as not available for me to purchase - I could purchase the lower package but that states for speeds up to 50mbps, so that's all i'll get and not the 70mbps the line is capable of.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

Indeed your speed will be capped if only ordering the slower package, but surely you can insist on accepting the risk and opting for the faster package in the expectation you will get the speed. Seems odd that you can't order which package you want, there are enough cases where customers have bought the higher package in the expectation it would lead to higher speed when their lines were nowhere near capable.
0 Ratings
portlanders1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I've enquired on phone, and live chat - same answer - my line will only support up to 50mbps. No-one that i've spoke to is willing or able to answer my question as to why that it is simply not true. I give them the speed i currently get, and inform them all other suppliers rate my line higher. It's like the agents read off a script that is black and white. Not fault of you guys who have kindly posted, but i'm wondering if i'm being a bit of an idiot here, knocking on doors, battling to try and become a BT customer.... surely it's them who should be persuading me.
0 Ratings
portlanders1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

BTW guys, i would rate your posts, but when i click i get an authentication error - seems my google browser on a chrome book doesn't like it cause of java - sorry.
0 Ratings