cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

New Customer, no broadband.

Hi, I am a new customer to BT, switched from EE.

My connection date was Monday 7th Feb, using a smart hub 2. Unfortunately the broadband didn't connect, instead I have a purple flashing light and have done for 3 days.

After several calls I eventually speak to someone today that says the fault lies at the exchange with either a faulty port or possibly no port available,  (Whatever that means) and the earliest they can sort it will 14th Feb!

Does any of this sound realistic?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: New Customer, no broadband.

@paulant18 

Use the address checker on the page below, and post the results, but edit out your address details first.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

See if it shows "waiting list" on the VDSL status line.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Screenshot_20220211-074634.png

 Hi Keith, thanks for the reply. Is this what you mean?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

@paulant18 

Yes, that is the reason you cannot get a connection, as the cabinet is full. Either a port has to become free, or Openreach need to install an extra card in the cabinet, provided there is room.

How long that will take, is down to Openreach.

ADSL connections (standard broadband) are available, but it may not be possible to order them any more.

If provision is delayed, BT can send out a 4G mini hub, provided you have 4G coverage.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Keith, that's interesting, according to to BT customer service, Open reach have given a date for connection of the 14th.

Interestingly I already had 2 previous emails suggesting I was good to go but obviously that didn't materialise. BT quietly suggested that more than 1 open reach engineer could have worked on the cabinet and disconnected me in favour of another customer.

As I'm still within my 14 days, if I told BT I wanted to cancel and return to EE would the same problem exist with EE.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Yes, the same problem would exist with whichever provider you chose. Ports aren't allocated to service providers, they are on a first come first served basis.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@paulant18 wrote:

BT quietly suggested that more than 1 open reach engineer could have worked on the cabinet and disconnected me in favour of another customer.

You would have been disconnected, that would be normal, as you cannot keep an existing connection once you move to another provider. Your connection would have been given to another person who had been waiting for connection, that is the way it has to happen.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'll see what happens Monday 🤞

0 Ratings