cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

New Customer

Great start for a new Customer, engineer booked for today, 27th August, no show, no call, no nothing. Just checked the My BT app, missed appointment is says. Phone to rearrange. Digital phone activation says 15th September. Having a laugh, I thought Virgin were bad, which isnwhy we swapped.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: New Customer

Was this for an FTTP install?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Give the FTTP team a ring. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Thanks, hanging on the phone. Beginning to regret leaving Virgin. The annoying bit is no contact from anyone, nothing. Wasted a days leave, but now they can't supply the guaranteed speed they can reimburse me, they're in breach of contract.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

What a pile of rubbish this lot are. Hung on the phone for 1hr 45 mins, nothing. Managed to get onto some chat online who was clueless and wouldn't help as he was from the billing department.  We haven't even had the outside connection done from the exchange/ green box to the house yet. So basically when we ordered online the dates were a complete pack of lies. We are having to go out today to buy a WiFi dongle type thing so we can have some kind of normality. Not one bit of communication from BT, unable to get through on any number. I ensured the complaint was made official. Yes I understand that life is slower with the current situation,  but a simple bit of organisation or communication may have helped. As we are Key Workers getting time off to sit at home isn't easy to arrange. I also sometimes have to work from home which is now impossible as our Virgin is switched off. Part of the swap over plan. The online chap said he noted to have a box arranged to connect to a hotspot, the nearest hotspot is 2 miles away. No idea what we are going to do, but will find a way of billing BT for any additional money we spend during this mess.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

if you are getting FTTP then you need openreach to fit an ONT and you will have fibre cables installed right into your home - this has nothing to do with the exchange or green street cabinet.  however if you are getting FTTC which is fibre to cab and copper cable to your home then you need openreach to install phone line

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

this is an ONT which you need for FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 17

We've finally got somewhere, via a PM to the BT twitter page, well, about 8 messages from last night. They rang Connections, found the problem. Rang me back, new appointment set up on the 9th, plus a further call with the BT Twitter chap on the 10th to confirm all is OK and appointment was met and installed. Fingers crossed. In the meantime, we've purchased a Wifi dongle so we have TV via the Firestick. I do sit back and think.....TV and phones were so simple years ago. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

The chap from openreach came today, friendly and helpful chap too. Did all the work indoors and outside, tidy too. Fitted that white box indoors where we wanted it to. He was happy i had already unboxed it all, got the tv box and router cables done etc. Then came the crunch, he went out, 10 mins alter reappeared, i have some bad news, i thought here we go....He said, i can't climb up the telepgraph pole as it is out of date for a safety inspection, if something happens whilst i'm up i'm up **bleep** creak without a paddle, classic wording. I'll be back 0800 tomorrow, and a cherry picker type van will arrive around 0900 go up, get the new cable ready, then i finish off and switch it all on, check all is working, best i can do he said. So hopefully tomorrow we will have it all done. Just the phone, he said he might be able to pair with the hub etc,  1 question, how do we keep our old number? We asked to keep it.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

@GT037 wrote:

1 question, how do we keep our old number? We asked to keep it.

As Virgin and BT are separate networks, its not normally possible to keep the same number unless you were a BT Retail customer in the past, at that same address.

BT Retail number ranges are unique to each exchange, however if you are getting BT Digital Voice, then that does not depend on the local exchange number range, so it may be possible. That is something you would have to enquire about, as it would involve some form of interception at network level.

0 Ratings