cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 32

New FTTP 900mb installation problem

Had BT's FTTP 900mb service installed Friday morning at 8am. Since then I've gotten nowhere near their advertised speeds, wired I'm getting 100Mbps download and wireless is exact same as I got on the previous non-FTTP service of 56Mbps. So I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day today with no luck, but on inspection of the optical cable at the entry of the property to the internal box I saw this (pic below)
Where he stapled the cable to the top of my skirting there is one staple right through the dead centre on part of the cable. Now would this be affecting my speeds or is it a case of the optical cable either works or it doesn't? The engineer did not run a speed test with any of my equipment before he left, and I've since been told he should have. I'm not too familiar with the new tech yet so thought I would ask on here before speaking to BT tomorrow. Cheers!

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32

Re: New FTTP 900mb installation problem

Wired speed of 100Mbps sounds like your network card or cable is not gigabit.  Check the cable is at least CAT5e.  What network card is on your PC/laptop?  In Windows it will show the connection speed.  Your low wireless speed may also be because your wireless card is single band 2.4GHz only.

My wired connection uses onboard network adaptor on my motherboard, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, which is capable of  1.0 Gbps. The onboard wireless is using an Intel Wireless AC9560 which is 802.11ac compatible, so more than capable also. I could accept the wireless signal being degraded a little as my main PC is a floor above the router, but even setting up a Wifi mesh with my TP Link AC1200 it still gets very low speeds exact same as my old 76Mbps connection.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 32

Worth checking the full wired connection. Is there a switch in the middle of your network? It could be a 100mb switch, is all your cabling 5e or higher?  On the PC or laptop, have you actually checked the status of the ether adaptor to see what it says . Concentrate on the wired connection  first then look at the wifi. 

BT Full Fibre 900
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

Does Windows show 1.0 Gbps network connection?  Have you checked the SH2 connection status - I think that should also show 1000Mbps connection to the ONT.  You can try a direct PPPoE connection from your PC to the ONT to rule out issue with the router.

Message 6 of 32

Could you post a smaller picture?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 32

I'm no expert but that staple ain't going to help.
Message 8 of 32

@Wilted007 

I agree.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 9 of 32

Just made up a brand new 5e cable, there no switches in my network, just direct from back of router to back of computer. Still 90Mbps. Tested into the back of a PS4, still 90Mbps. Would be nice if it worked but it just doesnt.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 32

Where does it show the SH2 connection status at 1000Mbps? My router has no lights/info on it.
0 Ratings