Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

New FTTP Install

Hi all, 

I’ve just signed up for BT’s FTTP after receiving a leaflet in the post from Openreach telling me the service is now available in my area & was hoping someone could tell me what to expect from the installation?

I asked the question during live chat when I was placing the order but to be honest I’m not convinced what I was told is accurate as I’ve since had an email with information that goes against what the agent on live chat said! 

If anyone can give me any info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Sage
Message 2 of 31

Re: New FTTP Install

What is it you want to know other than a fibre optic connection will be supplied to your property and ONT fitted.

0 Ratings
Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

@pippincp  Given that I’m not particularly clued up on these things it would be helpful to know what to expect from start to finish. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 5 of 31

@Steve-78 wrote:

@pippincp  Given that I’m not particularly clued up on these things it would be helpful to know what to expect from start to finish. 

The engineer will run a fibre optic cable either overhead or underground to your property, drill a hole for it to enter, fit the ONT to the wall and connect the fibre optic cable to it.

0 Ratings
Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 31

What’s an ONT??

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 31

Optical Network Termination, think of it like a copper NTE, it’s the point at which Openreach’s network and responsibility for service ends and yours or your service providers starts.
0 Ratings
Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 31

@iniltous Would I be right in thinking then that’s the modem? What happens with the current copper line to my property also as BT saying I still need a landline/line rental, I thought the whole point of FTTP was to do away with that unless I’ve missed something? 

Sorry for all the questions, just a different setup from what I’m used to & have known with Sky.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 9 of 31

The ONT performs the same way as a modem in that it facilitates and negotiates the network connection.

You will keep your copper line for now.

0 Ratings
Turch
Contributor
Message 10 of 31

Just had mine installed today. Bit of a balls up. They said i could have it, came out and installed it, then upon testing found that i was connected to a different CBT to what BT thought i was. One that the network wasnt finished on. So now im just left with a nice new overhead cable l, white box, and the same rubbish internet speed until BT/openreach sort it. Maybe get them to check the CTB first.

0 Ratings