cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 31

Re: New FTTP Install

Seeing as the callback from customer services never happened I phoned the FTTP team directly instead, they spoke with Openreach while I was on the phone & on the basis of what’s been said this evening Openreach are saying there’s no reason why the install can’t take place as I can definitely get fibre. Only possible problem they saw was that the connection point is in a neighbours garden but other than that they’ve no idea why the engineer said it wasn’t possible. Now awaiting a further update on Thursday to see what’s what. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 22 of 31

The engineers report should be in tonight or tomorrow morning and they'll know more.

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 23 of 31

@Steve-78wrote:

What’s an ONT??

0CE04BD5-E491-438E-8167-9B800E1E74CE.jpeg

Three connections:

• Power, from the supplied mains adaptor
  • Port 1 - Ethernet cable to BT Smart Hub
  • Optical - the fibre from outside the house
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 31

The new Nokia ONT is way smaller than that and has no Telephone port.

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 31

I guess that will depend on whether the exchange OLT is Nokia or Huawei. @jonstatt, what size is the new Nokia ONT?

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 26 of 31

Wouldn't matter what kit the exchange is running.

Nokia ONT.jpg

0 Ratings
jonstatt
Aspiring Expert
Message 27 of 31

I will have to measure it but this is what it looks like.

20200122_181101.jpg

Highlighted
Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 31

@tarbat Thanks for that but it looks like it could be a while before I see that fitted in my house!

Openreach have advised BT that the current route to my house isn’t suitable for a fibre cable, when pressed further on exactly what that meant they said there’s no available fibre ports on the pole & Openreach are going to look into what can be done to get me FTTP with an update due on Tuesday.

I thought leaving Sky & their available/not available/available/no capacity etc Ultrafast mess behind would rid me of the headache that caused me, seems it’s now following me over to BT! 

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 31

@Steve-78wrote:

I thought leaving Sky & their available/not available/available/no capacity etc Ultrafast mess behind would rid me of the headache that caused me, seems it’s now following me over to BT! 

As you’ve found, both BT and Sky are equally dependent on Openreach 😞

Steve-78
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 31

So after almost a month of repeated phone calls & going back & forth between BT & Openreach my FTTP install is no more. 

Openreach have now officially killed off any hope of getting it saying that it’s not available in my postcode/to my property. 

Tried to point out that houses across the road from me (odd numbers) are showing as having availability for FTTP but they still insist it’s not available in my area despite previous emails & leaflets through the door saying otherwise. 

Apparently the best I can hope for now from BT is Ultrafast via GFast but given Sky have now offered it as well for less than BT’s price it looks like I’ll be sticking with them. 

0 Ratings