cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

New FTTP Install

Hi FTTP have very recently being installed in the area and I have ordered it as soon as I was able.  I now have a confirmed Openreach date 23rd Dec.  I want to make sure the install runs smoothly.  Currently there is an ADSL connection and copper landline.  I am informed the landline will switch to digital voice on the same day.

Apart from needing a socket for power are there any other considerations for position the ONS?  I guess the fibre will follow the same route overhead and I was hoping the ONS would be located next to the existing master socket but that would mean the fibre would have to go around a couple of corners  is there a bending restriction? 

Will they leave the existing copper and master socket in place - even if it is disconnected at the exchange

What flexibility does the Smart Hub 2 give you?  Can you set your own DNS? forward ports? fix the IP address of devices  and similar type router functions?

Is the phone port on the SH2 for a 413A plug?

Sorry for all the questions 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: New FTTP Install

The EZ Bend Fibre Cable has a bend radius to that of a £2 Coin.

Not sure what you mean by ONS, you must mean ONT.

Chances are the Openreach Engineer won’t remove any of the old Copper Cabling/Equipment unless it hinders the Fibre he’s installing.

Yes you can plug a British Standard 413a phone cable into the Smart Hub but if you get BT’s Digital Phones they work wirelessly.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks so the fibre should be able to go around a couple or corners without too much issue. 

Yes I did mean ONT. 

I intend to use some existing cordless phones and the BT phone provided.  In fact I have a Siemens Gigaset system that is both analogue and VOIP so I intend to plug it in to both the telephone port and well as the LAN.  I may have to forward one or more ports to get it to accept incoming calls but we shall see.

Thanks once again

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

The SH2 is a DECT base station for digital voice. You are unable to change DNS settings on the SH2, address reservation is possible as is port forwarding, however, it is preferable to set a static IP address on the device itself rather than rely on router address reservation.

0 Ratings