cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
borisbathtime
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

New FTTP instalation question

Our village together with a welsh government grant paid for FTTP to be provided to each house. Open Reach have now installed the new cabinet and cables to all the poles in the village and left long loops for individual house connection.The engineers said the wires to the poles should be live by the end of the week (a couple of weeks ago).

My question is do we just wait for Open Reach to connect our individual houses now or are we required to put in an order with BT  to get our individual houses wired to the poles ? I dont think the houses will show up on the fibre checker as being FTTP enabled for orders until they are fully conected all the way to the house even if the poles are live.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: New FTTP instalation question

Hi @borisbathtime,

You will need to wait for the DSL checker to state WBC FTTP as being "Available" before you can place an order.
0 Ratings
borisbathtime
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thanks - So just to clarify, what you are saying is we do just wait for Open Reach to connect each individual house to the poles and not BT.
Once this work is done we will see WBC FTTP as available to our house and we can then place a BT (or other isp) order for broadband ?
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Openreach manage the whole network, not BT. BT is an ISP, otherwise correct.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Hi @borisbathtime what results do you get on the availability checker? When posting the results make sure to remove your telephone number. 

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
borisbathtime
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

It says we only have normal FTTC available on the BT availability checker and when I check the Open Reach FTTP progress checker it doesnt even list us as a job in the pipeline although all the FTTP work to the poles outside our houses is definitly completed now. My initial question really is who connects us to the live poles and do we order that or is it done as a matter of course. I would have thought its Open Reach who connect the houses to the poles and installs each FTTP box as part of the overall paid for installation. However, there is confusion within the village with some saying we need to order it individually.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

try phoning FTTP team and see what they say 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
borisbathtime
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Ok so I've found out the proceedure. For any others with a similar FTTP installation query heres how it goes.
Once the poles are live, Open Reach test the lines and make sure everything is fine and dandy from the exchange to the poles. This should take a few weeks. Open Reach then inform residents that the lines are RFS (ready for service). It is then the housholders responsibility to order a service from a suitable FTTP ISP (in our case its 99% going to be BT). It is that ISP who will then contact Open Reach and instruct them to do the work to connect the house to the pole. Once the house is connected to the pole you will have an FTTP termination box inside your house. Your ISP should provide a new FTTP enabled router and this will connect directly to the termination box and hey presto, fingers crossed, ultrafast broadband is available.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

I guess the availability checker will also update to show FTTP available once the lines are RFS.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

@borisbathtime wrote:
Ok so I've found out the proceedure. For any others with a similar FTTP installation query heres how it goes.
Once the poles are live, Open Reach test the lines and make sure everything is fine and dandy from the exchange to the poles. This should take a few weeks. Open Reach then inform residents that the lines are RFS (ready for service). It is then the housholders responsibility to order a service from a suitable FTTP ISP (in our case its 99% going to be BT). It is that ISP who will then contact Open Reach and instruct them to do the work to connect the house to the pole. Once the house is connected to the pole you will have an FTTP termination box inside your house. Your ISP should provide a new FTTP enabled router and this will connect directly to the termination box and hey presto, fingers crossed, ultrafast broadband is available.

Which is why @imjolly gave you the FTTP team number.