cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: New FTTP install question

You could always try using the existing cable if it has 8 wires.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

Great shout. I'll have a look to see if its twisted pair behind the back boxes.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Result.

Full twisted pair sitting in the master box with only blue and blue/white connected.

It's weird what makes you happy during these mental times! 😄 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

👍👍

Message 15 of 22

Appreciate all your info today. You've been a massive help.

Final question. (It might be stupid so apologies)

Is the easiest option just to terminate the twisted pair cable with an RJ45 connector and plug it in to the ONT or should i get a backbox installed with an RJ45 face plate?

I'm assuming that it wouldn't be as simple as fixing all the twisted pairs up to the correct connections on current Openreach main box and replacing secondary RJ11 face plate with an RJ45 one to give a direct connection?
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 22

Once you get FTTP your current Master socket will no longer be used for broadband.

Personally, I would fit a backbox with an RJ45 face plate adjacent to the current master socket and then just use a patch lead to connect the ONT to the socket as I doubt the cable would be long enough to reach the ONT if you simply terminated it in a plug. Then simply replace the extension RJ11 faceplate with an RJ45 faceplate.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

Will it be used at all?

I'm very limited for space so would struggle to get another back box in on top of the FTTP stuff. 

If I need to I'll make it work though.

There's a good 15-20 cm of cable tucked away in the master box so might get lucky and be able just to terminate it. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

You probably need to wait and see where the ONT can be located to see if it will reach. Are you getting digital voice with the FTTP or retaining your copper landline for telephony? If the copper landline cable is going to be redundant, you could just swap the master socket for an RJ45 faceplate and leave the incoming cable coiled up behind.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Have went for digital voice so copper landline should be redundant which should work out perfectly!

Thanks again for the help. 👍

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

As the master socket will be redundant just replace the faceplate with an RJ45 and connect the extension wires to it, no need for a secondary back box. You'll also need an RJ45 socket at the other end.

0 Ratings