cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

New FTTP installation today but TP link VR 400 slowing download speeds

Hi All

Following some good advice from Keith on this forum some time ago I junked my troublesome Home Hub and bought a VR400 to use on our FTTC connection. For the money, it's been nothing short of brilliant.

Today after weeks of the usual BT delays we had fibre installed into our home. The engineer set it up on a HH that I keep spare and all was OK at around 250Mbs.

Once he had gone I reconnected my VR400 and it took 2 minutes to change the setup to suit the FTTP.

The problem is that the best download speed I can achieve is about 85Mbs and it's unstable.

I've spent the whole morning fiddling around and the only setting i found that was mentioned in another post was the VLAN tag which was disabled. I enabled that and set it to 101 but then it wont connect at all so I disabled it again.

I've begrudgingly admitted defeat for now and installed the new Smart Hub 2 but the inability to separate the wifi channels causes me some issues, though it'll have to do for now.

What I really want is my trusty VR400 up and running again - does anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks

Karl

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New FTTP installation today but TP link VR 400 slowing download speeds

Have you checked the TP-link site for any firmware upgrade? Failing that I'm sure you'll get assistance here. https://community.tp-link.com/en 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

That's a good point - I'll take a look thanks..should have been so easy!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

The VR400 is quite old now and probably can't cope with higher speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

VR400 - 100/60

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Suspect you may be right. I upgraded the firmware but still no better. It's a shame as it's been so much better than the HH's I've had before.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

I guess it's time for the same question I asked 2 years ago that Keith answered! Can anyone recommend a favoured router from the huge choice that works well with BT FTTH that would replace the trusty VR400 and allow the full 300Mbs download speed?

Thanks in anticipation 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

TP-Link is limited to only one.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr2100/

Giving 350/60

I do not have any experience of this one.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

The OP doesn't need a modem/router, just a router as he has FTTP. The 350 refers to VDSL profile 35B not internal throughput.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

"TP-LINK Archer AX10 Next-Gen WiFi 6 AX1500 Mbps Gigabit Dual Band Wireless Cable Router, 8 Gigabit LAN Ports, Ideal for Gaming Xbox/PS4/Steam and 4K" £79.99

0 Ratings