cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

New FTTP service dreadful

Hi, got our new FTTP installed on Tuesday with BT and Openreach, to replace our old 4g router.

So far it's been so unreliable as to be virtually useless.

Loses the broadband connection (orange light on the hub) many times a day, often for an hour or two at a time, then inexplicably turns blue and starts working again.

Green lights always on the openreach modem.

I work from home and this week's been a disaster thanks to BT.

On the rare occasions it does work the speed is spot on at just under the advertised 75mbps.

Spent an hour on the phone to BT yesterday, the conclusion was they're sending a 'home tech expert' out a week tomorrow.

It strikes me that the problem can only be a faulty hub, or an openreach issue. So having a hard time seeing how the 'home tech expert' is going to fix this. And don't want to put up with the current dreadful service for another week to find out that they can't, and we're back to square 1.

Any help or advice very welcome.

Was dead excited to get FTTP but so far it's been a total let down. The way I feel now I'm tempted to cancel the whole thing before the 14 day cooling off period expires.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: New FTTP service dreadful

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30secs until light flash

have you tried a different Ethernet cable from ONT to the hub WAN port?

if you reset hub then make sure you turn off smart setup

Turn Off smart setup

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10

Try a factory reset of the hub.

If that doesn't work then check the LOS and PON lights on the ONT (the Openreach modem) next time your broadband connection is lost,. PON should be a steady green and LOS should be out

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Thanks. 

Did the factory reset on the hub. Still orange. 

Ont Pon light green with occasional flashes. Los light off.

Have tried swapping ethernet cable but makes no difference.

Further ideas very welcome.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10

PON should be solid green, no flashing whatsoever

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Phone FTTP team and get engineer visit 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Ok. That Pon light is still flashing occasionally.

Is this telling me I need to phone bt back and get them to swap their home tech expert' for an openreach engineer?

(I did tell bt it was flashing when I phoned them yesterday....)

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10

Yes, the CS rep probably doesn't have a clue about FTTP

Edit: Checkout bullet point 2

https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/problems-and-appointments/checks-for-fibre-ntes#:~:text=T....

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Use the FTTP team direct number @imjolly has given you.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Well off the back of your advice guys, I gently wiggled the incoming optical cable. This made the PON light flash loads. 

So I unplugged the green connector, blew across it gently, adjusted the cable route slightly so no tight curves, and firmly plugged it back in to the ONT so it clicked.

The hub instantly turned blue....

It's been blue ever since! 

Whether there was a bit of dirt in there, or the openreach installer just hadn't plugged it in properly, or whatever, who knows.

While I'm annoyed with BT for not suggesting this simple check (and myself tbh for not doing this sooner!) am delighted it seems to be sorted.

Much obliged for your help which pointed me in the right direction - many thanks.