Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 5

New Fibre Installation but Left Old Copper Socket

Hi

I had new Fibre Broadband installed yesterday as an upgrade from BT Superfast Broadband.

Openreach engineers x 2 installed the fibre but stated the old copper socket for broadband and phone stayed.

I had to sit on the stairs outside the room because of Covid 19 safety and when the engineers had left I checked the room and found I have ended up with the old BT Socket just above the skirting board in the room and the new Fibre Modem Socket slightly higher up.

Outside wall now has 2 major holes in it ie 1 for the old copper wiring into the old socket and the 2nd new fibre socket plus a round attachment.

I discovered the new fibre modem has a phone socket so plugged the landline phone in that but it didn't work.

The whole set up is tacky and shoddy so I phoned BT this morning and was told that the old copper socket stays in old build houses with a new fibre installation - ie if it was new build everything would be installed into the new fibre modems.

I was also told that I do not have the phone facility with the fibre so my bt landline has to be plugged into the old socket and asked to plug my landline into the old socket and that worked.

However my thoughts are why couldn't the old copper wiring be removed and the new fibre modem be installed in the same place as the old copper socket with the landline service included?

The BT person said that was how it is and they could not do anything to help or change it.  I am seriously not happy

Everything is tacky and a mess - has anybody else have this problem and if they did how did they get it resolved?

Sorry for being lengthy in this post

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: New Fibre Installation but Left Old Copper Socket

if you have an existing copper phone line then you need to continue to use that for calls and ONT for broadband until digital voice is made available to you  that is standard

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Most of the village where I live have gone over to 'Satellite?'.  I have stayed with BT for my own reasons - I guess I am one of the few in the village who are still using the Copper Line.

I wonder when I will get it - here?

In the meantime RustyT are you pleased with your upgrade?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

BT are right. Even if you converted to Digital Voice they’re to leave the Copper Cabling/Equipment in place as people have to still be given the option to swapping to another CP that only sells ADSL/VDSL Services.

It is planned in the future that when FTTP is installed Engineers will get an Associated Copper Cease Order where they are to remove the Copper Cabling/NTE and the property is then only to ever be served by FTTP from that day on. There’s no set date for that yet, I think Openreach are still in talks with OFCOM on how to implement it.

Message 5 of 5

@Anonymous 

The BT person said that was how it is and they could not do anything to help or change it.  I am seriously not happy

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Getting full fibre should be a moment to enjoy, many thousands are still waiting for that pleasure.

I find it alarming when you make statements like "I am seriously not happy"

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings