cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

New Full Fibre service 900/110Mbps fluctuating speeds

Hi everyone, just upgraded to full fibre. Bought the 900/110Mbps fibre upgrade.

It is first day, but my speedtests are irratic and fluctuate between 580Mbps to 900Mbps but tend to average around 720Mbps on occasions.

Feeling a little dissapointed to be honest, was hoping for the full bandwidth!

Question for everyone please - Does the full fibre service take time to stabilise like to old FTTC Service, or should I be recieving the full speed straight away please?

Thanks in advance

Gary

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: New Full Fibre service 900/110Mbps fluctuating speeds

It doesn't take time to stabilise but don't forget it is a contended service.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@gswhiteuk 

You do not have exclusive use of the backhaul connection, you are sharing it with many other users, so you will get a slower speed when there are a lot of users connected. 

That is fairly standard with residential connections. BT Business connections offer a lower contention ration.

Full fibre does not have any settling time.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks very much for replying so quickly Keith. Understood, did not think Fibre optic would require anytime to settle.

I guess I will have to accept what I get then.

Although in my area, I amprobably one of the first to get full Fibre so I am a little surprised I am not obtaining better speeds.

Thanks Again

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

If you are using Speedtest.net, I would suggest trying some different servers. A lot of the servers I have tried on it can't get anywhere near full speed. Community Fibre in London test server tends to be really good for me though.

I was the first on my street (40 odd houses) to get full fibre in November 2020 and speedtests always ran at 900/110. Second house got it in December and I had no difference on speedtests. Third house got it about 3-4 weeks back and now, depending on when I run the tests, I have noticed it drop, sometimes to as low as 800 mbps. There's a fourth house waiting for installation and I suspect more and more will have it installed now that it's available.

To be honest, it makes little difference to me and probably most people, whether I'm getting 900 mbps, 800 mbps or even 500 mbps...I won't notice any difference 99.9% of the time in daily usage. But as the others said, I expected contention as more properties started coming online. BT obviously know this, hence the speed guarantee is set at 450 mbps.

0 Ratings