cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulusthegnome
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

New Infinity 2 User Speed Issue

Hi its now 10 days after new install and disappointed with the following download speed.
BT estimate was 32Mb & 6Mb
Using ethernet connection & a single user I now get 18Mb & 6Mb.
Engineer checked at Fibre Cabinet & got 80 Mb but it was only 20Mb into my house.
Distance from my house to Fibre cabinet is at least 600metres could this be the cause of such a dramatic drop in download speed.
Can anything be done or do I have to wait for vectoring technology to improve matters & should I report this to BT ?

Many Thanks

Paul.

Inline images 1

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Infinity 2 User Speed Issue

Don't think there's much you can do really.

My quote was 58/18 but at 400m from the cabinet I get only 44/9 which was disappointing but still a very decent connection.

0 Ratings
Enigma123
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Yep i would conplain i did. I was quoted 49.5Mbps down and i'm getting 30/33Mbps Max i took BT to task over 2 months some faults with the line where fixed but the speed was 30/33Mbps better than the 19Mbps i was left with before but not what i was qouted. I found out that due to the length of the cable from the Cab 700 odd metres that the Max speed my line could ever reach was 39Mbps Max! So i could never reach the upto speed qouted. We have since reached an agreement with ££££ so 'im kind of happy but i would like more bandwith at some point. I'm one of those that will have to wait for vectoring and hope it isn't failed real world tech.

0 Ratings
paulusthegnome
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your replies I will ring BT Tomorrow not expecting a good experience if a call centre is involved !

cheers

Paul.

0 Ratings
paulusthegnome
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks to moderators for Engineer visit today.

Everything checked out ok he said the Low Download speed (17Mb) was due to the extreme length (1 Kilometre) of cable from home to fibre cab.

He suggested that a change to Infinty 1 40Mb/10Mb might give better results because of smaller losses

Any thoughts on this ?

What if I change to Infinity 1 and get similar losses I would be back to ADSL speed.

Many Thanks.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@paulusthegnome wrote:

Thanks to moderators for Engineer visit today.

Everything checked out ok he said the Low Download speed (17Mb) was due to the extreme length (1 Kilometre) of cable from home to fibre cab.

He suggested that a change to Infinty 1 40Mb/10Mb might give better results because of smaller losses

Any thoughts on this ?

What if I change to Infinity 1 and get similar losses I would be back to ADSL speed.

Many Thanks.

Your speed wont change if you downgrade. 

0 Ratings