Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lutonian
Message 1 of 9

New Infinity Customer Woes

Go to solution

Hi All,

I’m new to BT Infinity this week after being a BT Broadband customer for over a year only experiencing one major outage during that time.

Our new BT Smart Home Hub 6 arrived on Friday, so I swapped out the old version 4 Hub and started using the new one straight away without any issues.

9am on Monday the service switched over to Infinity and since then the internet keeps dropping in and out with the hub light constantly switching between blue for 10 mins and then to orange, etc.

The helpline say that there isn’t a problem with the line, but the hub is at fault and to switch across to the old hub until the replacement arrives. When the old hub is plugged in it doesn’t even connect to the internet.

Obviously, this is a problem for me as I work from home, so I am now relying on Costa Coffee to accommodate me during the week.

Does anyone out there have any technical advice for me?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Infinity Customer Woes

Go to solution

The home hub 4 will not work on BT Infinity unless you have an Openreach modem in front of it.

Infinity is easily upset by noise on the line, or incorrectly wired phone connections.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Please connect things up as shown below, and see if the disconnections stop. This applies to Infinity as well.

adsl_test.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

The HH4 won't work on Infinity, it is ADSL only, Infinity is VDSL. You will either have to wait for the new hub to arrive, buy an Openreach modem from ebay and use with your HH4 or buy a new third party VDSLmodem/router. The latter is the best option.

0 Ratings
lutonian
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, sounds as though the helpdesk staff (two of them and me too for not Googling) need training when it comes to advising which versions of the hub can and cannot be used.

When I get home I will try plugging the hub directly into the phone socket to see how it behaves and will also check the filter as I have a spare one somewhere.

Thanks

0 Ratings
lutonian
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response and help folks, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
lutonian
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Just a quick update.

So after being kicked out of Costa I did some disconnecting and reconnecting at home. I plugged the HH6 directly into the master socket via the adsl filter and restarted it. Low and behold, touch wood, all is well connectivity wise with no drop-outs. Speed is not brilliant (25down/20up), but that's not what matters at the moment, I am just glad with a stable connection as I work from home 🙂 

Cheers all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Perhaps there is an issue where it was connected before in the house?

Infinity is not very tolerant of poorly wired extension wiring if its the case in your house.

0 Ratings
lutonian
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Yes, a telephone extension that happily worked with HH4 and BT Broadband was the culprit. So what I will do is leave everything where currently is and run a Cat6 cable from the HH6 to a giga-switch box to get everything in the AV cabinet connected again.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@lutonian wrote:

Yes, a telephone extension that happily worked with HH4 and BT Broadband was the culprit. So what I will do is leave everything where currently is and run a Cat6 cable from the HH6 to a giga-switch box to get everything in the AV cabinet connected again.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan. Give it time and if the line stays stable you'll see your speed start to rise.

0 Ratings