Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 22

New Infinity Install - Already slow Throughput

Hi guys,

On Monday I had Infinity 2 installed - My line is near perfect according to the engineer with an estimated 132000Kbps sync if the cap was lifted.

However I've ran into problems tonight (and quite a bit during the day); despite my HG612 syncing at the maximum sync of almost 80Mbps (79987Kbps), the throughput varies a lot and sometimes hits ~30Mbps - That's 40-50Mbps lower than it should be!

I just ran a BTW Performance Test and it found my download speed was very low (Coloured Red):

infinity.png

From what the engineer said, as of Monday there was only one other person on the cabinet... and it's already running into capacity problems!?

I know it's still early days and I'm unlikely to receive support from BT but I don't see what waiting is going to do - I'd have thought it is going to get worse as more people adopt FTTC packages on my cabinet?

My sync to the cabinet is fine as I've said so there isn't an issue there.

I manage to reach full throughput at some points during the day but it does fluctuate a lot!

What can I do? According to the Wholesale Checker, the speed is outside of the acceptable speed range.

Is waiting for the 10 day period all I can do for the moment? I'd have thought that is only in place for line stability, not throughput stability? (I know the Training Period on FTTC lasts 2 days).

Thanks for your answers

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: New Infinity Install - Already slow Throughput

if it is a capacity problem then it is beyond your cabinet as each cabinet has 1gb capacity that looks more like backhaul congestion suggest you try the speedtest out of peak time tommorow
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 22

In order to rule out the Homehub as potentially being the device responsible for your speed loss, you can connect the Openreach modem directly to the PC and try some more speedtests. To do that follow these steps:

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem cable

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop to the modem via the cable instead

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 22

I realise the cabinet has a 1Gbps connection but my understanding is each ISP has a VLAN inside it as-well which has a fixed capacity.

If the Backhaul is 'congested' what can be done about it? It's clearly not an acceptable throughput according to the Wholesale checker.

I'll run a test tomorrow during the day (If I can - Getting some brand new windows! 🙂 ) and update the thread further then.

Doesn't look good bearing in mind this is the first cabinet in the area which has been enabled at the first of this month.

Edit: I'm not using the Home Hub at the moment due to the restarting bug; I swapped it mid-day today when this issue was happening with my 7800N which I've proved is up to the task (Tested the EWAN port with 100Mbps and it smashed it with ~12.5MB/s) and it still hasn't improved. It's definitely not the issue.

I actually ran a few tests with a direct PPPoE connection without any router connected seperately on a Quad Core PC & my Laptop (One at a time, tested for reliability) but only managed to get ~60Mbps on each.

I also tried doing the TAP-3 test but it's useless - DNS doesn't resolve when logged in as the speedtest user.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

you will need the mods help if it is a capacity issue post back tommorow and i am sure they will pick up your thread
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

@john46 wrote:
you will need the mods help if it is a capacity issue post back tommorow and i am sure they will pick up your thread

Okay will do, Thanks for your help guys.

For reference here's a speedtest done with my laptop plugged straight into the HG612 via PPPoE - Can't do further diagnostics because it goes straight to TAP 3 for some reason:

test1.png

Edit: My line stats if it matters:

Downstream     Upstream

Attainable rate (kbit/s) 132884     38195

Line rate (kbit/s) 79987    20000
SNR margin (dB) 21.1     23.5
Line attenuation (dB) 10.7     0
Output power (dBmV) 13     -3.1

I'll update tomorrow. Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 22

Your direct connection test, the skipping straight to TAP3, the line rate and the SNR margin all point towards it being a capacity issue on the exchange.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 22

Here's a similar problem https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/serious-infinity-congestion-speed-issues/m-...
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 22

@ray_dorset wrote:
Your direct connection test, the skipping straight to TAP3, the line rate and the SNR margin all point towards it being a capacity issue on the exchange.

Could be; would be nice to get it sorted.

Here is a speedtest from about 10 minutes ago:

stin.png

Edit: Here's another I've just done (See the variation) :S :

stin2.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

@ray_dorset wrote:

surely if connection speed at max 80mb the noise margin being above 6db which is classed as 'norm' is a good thing and suggest Chris6273 lives very close to the cabinet - hence high attainable speed and nothing to do with exchnage congestion.

as more customers are added the noise margin will start to fall as will the attainable speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings