Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
esc4p3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New Infinity install - a couple of questions

Go to solution

A couple of reasons for this post, one I thought might prove helpful for some people and the other is a question.

I moved over from normal copper BT broadband to BT Infinity 1 recently. I was quoted a minimum of 15mb up to 23mb and on first install was getting between about 3mb and 9mb. Left it a few days, but it didn't get any better so reported the fault. I was quite surprised how helpful BT were, trying fixes remotely and calling me back regularly....in the end they sent an Openreach engineer out. Something I've seen a lot on these forums is "it might be your internal wiring at fault"....and guess what, it was my internal wiring at fault. Ever since we've lived here, we have two BT sockets side by side, the main 'master' socket and a smaller square one, which our phone was plugged into (master socket was dead). The engineer took one look at it and said "that's your issue". He pulled it all apart, installed a new master socket with two sockets (phone and ADSL), the live socket is now the master socket and bingo my speed is now around 20mb. Very happy, he said he has also reset the 'learning' period so to leave it 10 days to see how my speed settles.

This learning period, is that just testing the line, or the Home Hub 5 as well? In other words is there any point rebooting the Home Hub or should I leave it alone? After he left I actually did a speed test at around 25mb, disconnected the Hub and put it upstairs where it used to live on a long ADSL cable and the sync speed dropped dramatically - it obviously doesn't like long cable runs....so I put it back downstairs and now have 20mb - but was wondering whether I messed up because I can't get back up to 25mb.

Any thoughts greatly received 🙂

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Infinity install - a couple of questions

Go to solution

the few rseets as you moved hub around probably increased nose margin and dropped conenction speed and this should recover if you just leave it connected  you can go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats

the hub will not change and normally gets best stable speed in couple of days at most

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
soapy
Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

it is best not to be turning the router on and off as this will lower your speeds as the line thinks it has a fault, the closer the router is to the master socket the better as this will give you the best speeds. any extentions should be made with at least cat5e cable, not normal phone cable, i have an extention because the router was not able to sit at the master socket but the openreach engineer fitted it when he installed infinity but i think it is self install now (i may be wrong as i havent been on this forum in a good while )

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

you can use good quality ethernet cable and create a data extension to a another socket more convenient or you can get a better quality rj11 modem cable to connect master socket to hub which will work fine  like this

belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

you can always use powerline adapter which is just as easy

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
esc4p3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks 

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 01/06/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 23:29:48
6. Data rate:2615 / 20947
7. Maximum data rate:2615 / 21055
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 6.2
9. Line attenuation:36.3 / 28.5
10. Signal attenuation:36.0 / 23.7
11. Data sent/received:352.1 MB / 5.1 GB
0 Ratings
esc4p3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

The longer cable was connected diretly to the master socket, but I wouldn't reckon it was high quality, just a cheapie off Amazon. It worked fine when I had 'just' copper broadband, but I guess the faster speed potential with Infinity exposes any weakness in the internal wiring. I'll certainly leave the Hub on for a while and not move it again so everything has time to settle 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

from your stats if you are now back at master socket it shows an attainable if 21mb with current conenction speed virtually at attainable with noise margin about normal 6db  you can remain connected but looks like you are about what line supports on stable conenction

0 Ratings
esc4p3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

ADSL.PNG

This is my results, looks like download is close to as good as I'll get, upload looks a bit low though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

from dslchecker you down speed is near top of estimate whereas your up speed is down at botom of estimated speed.  unlikely BT will help as normally no guarantee of up speed especially when you are so close to 2.7mb