cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 19

New Install

So I had BT Infinity activated yesterday. I was given a speed range of 35-53 Mbps and a minimum of 32Mbps.

The BT site now states if I ordered today I should get 40-57 Mbps and a minimum of 35 Mbps.

The DSL checker and technical log from the SH6 will follow.

I haven't tested using the test socket yet or tried a quiet line test but the DSL checker seems to think I can achieve far greater on a clean line than I am now. Is there anything that can be done or is it a case of wait and see?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: New Install

Picture2.pngPicture1.png

The low uptime is because the router is an FTTP SH6 connected to an Openreach modem. I had to disconnect it and move it to use the DSL port and get the stats.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

from stats you have 41mb connection speed so within the estimate give by BT but lower than estimated speed from checker

I would try test socket with filter to see if that improves conenction by eliminating your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 19

Purely as matter if interset, why an FTTP HH6?

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 19

The router sits on top of a bookcase so I thought the best way would be an Openreach modem to a router.
The other half doesn’t like to see the router and the Hub 6 is the smallest router I can get that still supports AC and I can easily hide.
All the super powerful awesome routers I’d happily buy are too big and I like the quiet life.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 19

Understandable and I don't blame you.Smiley LOL

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 19

Picture2.pngPicture1.png

So I tried the test socket with a new filter and cable. The line attenuation drops slightly, the noise margin drops by a third, the max data rate drops massively, and the data rate drops slightly.

A quiet line test alebit with a cordless phone doesn't have any noise. I'll try with a corded one and double check at some point.

A speed test on the BT wholesale site is attached also.

0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 8 of 19

where are you located just curious?

0 Ratings
JonathanAnsell
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 19

The not so sunny seaside town of Scarborough.
0 Ratings
shamus1
Expert
Message 10 of 19

ok thanks,why not just try hub 6 on its own to see if stats any better?

0 Ratings