cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

New Installation ONT Placement

I have been searching for a few days regarding whether I have any choices about the ONT location on a new FTTP installation.

The existing phone socket is in my downstairs hallway, and I assume the external ducting ends outside the wall where the current internal BT socket is located (its a new build but NOT with any fibre currently).

I would like the ONT to be installed in the room directly above the hallway if that is possible (this room is an office).

What response might I get when asking the engineer to run the fibre cable straight up the outside wall from the ducting to the upstairs room and install the ONT upstairs?

Finally slightly connected. I have a lot of BT sockets spread through the house and they appear to be using CAT5 cabling, the cabling goes back to the existing BT socket. If the engineer refuses to place the ONT upstairs, would another option be to change these sockets to LAN and then let the ONT and Router be installed next to the existing copper socket in the hallway? I would have to get plugs fixed to the cables but will pay for that if its a solution (again I have tried searching this but am getting differing answers). My main concern about this is that I will end up with a load of cables etc in the hallway just inside the front door which technically is not a problem but could look untidy!!

This is a screen shot from the checker showing the Install Process

Vince007_1-1577000932726.png

Thank you

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New Installation ONT Placement

Can't answer the first part of the question, but the ONT and router don't have to be co- located, you can use the Cat5 cabling to connect them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 7

I can’t see a problem with the ONT being placed in the upstairs man cave, or what you like to pretend is an ‘office’.

You’ll have to bear in mind though the Engineer May be Tetra Trained. It’s there new way of climbing (Sky Dish Fitters have been doing it for years) where they have to drill an eyebolt into the external wall to secure their ladder to. The eyebolt is removed afterwards but of course the hole remains, it’s a 12.5mil hole they fill with clear silicone.

If you refuse to allow them to drill said hole then they can’t climb. They arrange for scaffolding but would have to request it and it could take a week or so.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 7

The first part of you question can only be answered by the engineer on install. They do try to be accommodating.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 7

There’s now a Standard and Premium option Openreach well for FTTP.

I’ll find out the exact details but in all honesty most of the Engineers I’ve spoken to have rubbished them and said they’ll continuum doing what’s best for them.

I know the Standard says you should install the Fibre to the nearest mains power outlet and run no more than 10m of Cable internally but whose going to argue over doing 10m or 12m? Also there’s no clear definition of what that 10m entails, is it distance from where the cable enters the property to the ONT as in as the crow flies or does it mean 10m of Cable only because you’ll lose most of that the second you take it up and over a door frame or two!

Also there’s not a Prod Chasing Patch Manager I know who would say, ’If it’s 12m then down tools and return the job to be upgraded to Premium’

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

How did you get on with the install?? Im in currently the same position and would be interested to hear of youer experience.  Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

The BT engineer was great and did a very tidy job running the cable up the outside of our house into the second storey office.