cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User3215123
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

New Phone Line and BT Fibre

I had an additional phone line installed recently. This involved using the 2nd pair that was in the main cable to the house and connecting it to a new master socket. The involving work for the BT engineer was to sort out the rest which took 3+ hours! He said that there might be somes issues and fully expected somebody to be called out again (messy cabinets and 2 'routes' - 1 good, 1 not so good. This connection was originally with TalkTalk however I cancelled my contract with them after realizing how bad the CS was.

The original phone line which I've used for 6+ years has had a steady speed of 60Mbit/s however the new line has peaked at 34Mbit/s. It's only been activated for a few days with BT however with Talktalk it also peaked at the same which was for about 2 weeks. 

Any ideas how I can have this resolved if this improve after the mandatory 10 days? Same cabinet as expected but different information on the BT Checker. New line on the left.

bt.JPG

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Phone Line and BT Fibre

Are you saying that the 2 pair cable which is being used has one pair connectet to a different cabinet to the other pair? You've cut off the exchange and cab number rather than just blank out your phone number.

What was the rest that took a further 3+ hrs?

Post the connection stats from the "underperforming" connection. Advanced settings/technical log/info.

0 Ratings
RobbieBaron
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

There's really not much between them. Remember these are only estimates based on varying history spans. What are their actual router stats for each. They could well converge after the stabilisation period.

Wait out the "mandatory 10 days" while keeping an eye on it.

0 Ratings
User3215123
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

No idea exactly what the BT Openreach engineer was doing but he commented that he struggled to trace the cabling in the cabinet and it's a huge mess in there. The exchange and cabinet number is the same for each connection.

Existing Connection - Draytek router:

User3215123_0-1582901334431.png

New connection:

User3215123_1-1582901422772.png

0 Ratings
RobbieBaron
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

Yes, the new line is lagging behind dispite having same attenuation. All you can do is hope it catches up during settlement period. Against that is that currently Max Rate is showing at only 41 Meg,

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

The max data rate is below the handback threshold and presumably below the minimum guaranteed by BT. You need to ring for an engineer visit which used to  be free as it's a new connection which is underperforming.

0 Ratings
User3215123
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for advice, time for a bit of patience on my side as I won't be able to convince BT faults to do much for a for a bit unless there's any method available.

For this connection the estimated download was 50-73 Mbps and the stay fast guarantee is 44Mbps which matches the other connection I have.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 9

Which exchange & cab?

0 Ratings
User3215123
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Exchange CAERPHILLY Cabinet 38