cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

New and second line installation

Go to solution

Hi, hoping to move house and have a new BT FTTC cable installed. I’m also planning to have a second line installed at a different location in the home the same day.  I appreciate engineers may not want to enter  into the attic (it’s not boarded) and so am I better off creating a route to feed the cables through the walls / attic myself and drop them into the areas we’d like master sockets placed on the wall? Is that how it’s likely to be fitted?

Also, the bungalow is not in a street, it’s down a lane so not sure how the engineers would fit in those circs.

The old copper wire feeds through the attic but I’m guessing that will become redundant.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: New and second line installation

Go to solution

If the existing dropwire is OK , it will be reused , it may even be a multi pair dropwire so  two separate ‘lines’ can be delivered by the same cable .

If a new cable is needed , a chimney can’t be used ( although it once was acceptable it isn’t anymore ) so if maintaining the required height over the road/footpath can’t be obtained the installation may be delayed while a solution is put in place .

Its not very likely the installer will enter a loft , if you provide the method to pull cables through this area they may consider it , but may insist on alternative locations for the NTE , you can then make your own arrangements after that .

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks. The existing line is copper telephone cable which comes into the house via gable end, in through the attic, internal wall into living room master socket.  It is showing signs of perishing externally and I’m expecting this to be redundant eventually. 

I’ve been quoted free installation FTTE cable but I can see why this may not be a straight forward connection. I need to be clear when I order so that the engineers are not in anyway unsighted on the task. 
I’m hoping two lines means two lines otherwise the integrity and broadband speed could be impacted if they were to creat 2 lines from one? 
Appreciate the dialogue.
Wayne

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

What are you actually getting, you have mentioned FTTC (copper) and FTTE (whatever that is) but the implication is that you are getting FTTP (fibre).

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Apologies for the confusion. It’s a new line reportedly, FTTC but told not copper? Tbh, I had 3 different conversations with BT ops yesterday and was told 3 different answers the same scenario provided.  I need to speak to them again I think now we’ve decided we’d like a second line.  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

FTTC is copper.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I’d call back if I were you and demand a clear and precise answer.

FTTC is Fibre to the Cabinet. From there it’s on a Metallic Path, which could be on Copper or Aluminium or a mix of both all the way from the PCP to the DP. The Drop Wire or Underground Feed from the DP to your House will always be Copper though. 

For the Helpdesk to say, it’s not Copper implies one of two things;

1. You’re getting FTTP, although it’s odd they would sell you two Circuits.

2. The Helpdesk people you spoke to have no idea what they’re talking about, which wouldn’t surprise me in the least. 

You’d like to think if BT/EE have people selling Products/Services they would at least teach them about what they’re actually selling.