cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

New build FTTP Lights

Go to solution

Hi.  I have moved into a new build house.  I ordered fibre a few weeks ago.  My activation date says 1st October but the date that the network was due to be completed was the 15th October.

Anyway, my Smarthub 2 was delivered a week or so ago.  On Thursday, my Openreach fibre ONT was installed.  I plugged my hub in and the lights on the ONT were Power = Green, PON = Off, LAN = Green and LOS = Red.  My Smarthub had an Orange light.  This all made sense as BT confirmed that I hadn't been activated yet (still getting told the 15th) and the site foreman reckoned that the houses now had the ONT hardware but that the work at the exchange hadn't been done yet.

Last night, the lights on the ONT changed.  PON is now Green, LOS has gone off, and LAN has also gone off.  Smarthub is now flashing Purple.

Is this normal/does it make sense?  I am not expecting to be activated yet but am worried that either my ONT or Hub are faulty - if my ONT is now connected to the Openreach network (Green PON light) why would that turn the LAN light off?  Cable from the ONT to the Hub is still connected, and I tried a second cable, no difference.

Sorry if I'm worrying over nothing, I've been without internet for weeks now and I'm hoping that a hardware issue won't stop me getting online by the 15th.  I just don't understand why the PON light going green has coincided with the LAN light going off.

Thanks.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: New build FTTP Lights

Go to solution

A flashing purple light generally means that the broadband cable to your hub hasn’t been inserted properly – if it is inserted, this could indicate a problem with the cable itself.

Are you sure it's connected to the  FTTP port on the hub?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply!

100% sure it's connected the right port on the hub - using the supplied cable with the red RJ45 connectors, connected to the Red port on the Hub (WAN, if I recall - not at home now).

The only thing making me question it is that the LAN light was lit on Thursday.  It went off when the PON light came on yesterday.  No-one touched the hardware or moved the cable.

I tried swapping the ends of the RJ45 cable.  Also tried using the yellow-ended cable supplies with the hub.  No change.  I have two more cables coming tonight from my old house to triple-check.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

You now have physical connectivity as your PON light is lit but the circuit hasn't been activated so no PPPoE connectivity hence the change from Orange to Purple. All will be well when your circuit is activated.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you so much!

I am a worrier - I hoped I was worrying for no reason.

Many thanks, again.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Utw18wrote:

Thank you so much!

I am a worrier - I hoped I was worrying for no reason.

Many thanks, again.

That should be the case. If in doubt give the FTTP team a ring tomorrow. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings