cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

New build confusion BT Fibre 2 vs BT Fibre 2 in current old property

Hi

I am moving into a new build property which I believe has FTTP. On the postcode checker I can get a range of packages including Full Fibre 900. However, to me the packages seem very expensive.

One confusing point on the website is that they only use the words “full fibre” when referring to the highest speeds. Does this mean the cheaper packages would be FTTC e.g. BT Infinity?

My budget is around £30pm and I notice there is a package called “fibre 2” 74Mb/20Mb and stay fast guarantee of 34Mb (Which seems terrible for what I assume is FTTP). This looks like it has gone down in price overnight from £31.99pm to £29.99pm.

Now if I check my current postcode which is BT infinity, it also tells me i can get “Fibre 2” but I presume this is FTTC. However, interestingly the stay fast guarantee on this is 45Mb??? How can the older technology have a faster stay fast guarantee?

How do I know for sure my new broadband order will be full fibre regardless of the speed I choose?

I have been into the property and there is an active POS light - does anyone know how quickly it can be activated and use my own router rather than wait for BT to post smart hub?

thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: New build confusion BT Fibre 2 vs BT Fibre 2 in current old property

If there is an ONT at the property, you will have FTTP and will get the full speed of whatever package you choose.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

ideally its better to use a phone number, if u can get hold of that for the new property, as its more accurate for the checker

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

as @licquorice posted as you have an ONT and getting FTTP then you will get the max speed for whichever package you choose.  the figures you quote are for people getting FTTC

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Two of the ‘lights’  on the ONT are PON and LOS ( not POS ) if the PON light is lit you have ‘light’ to the ONT and it should be simple to authorise you as a user , if the LOS ( loss of service ) is lit , then no ‘light’ to the ONT .....as others have already said, with FTTP you ‘sync’ at whatever speed you buy ( it’s not distance dependent like ADSL/VDSL ) , throughput is different , on one guarantees  throughput will be the same as sync ( unless you have a leased fibre line )  , ultimately you share FTTP the service with others.
I’ve no idea why they market FTTP with a different stay fast guarantee minimum to FTTC .
As far as using your own router , you would have to state what it is, and you may get a reply stating if it is or isn’t compatible, not all routers are.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

As long as your router has a WAN port, its compatable.

0 Ratings