cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dan223
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

New build connection speed

I am looking at purchasing a flat in a new build, there are already openreach sockets in place from the builder, however when putting in the address in BT's website they say there system isn't up to date, and upon phoning I was told that the only way they can tell me if I can get fibre, and what speeds I can get, relys on me having to order a phone line and pay line rental, and then signup for broadband after this is complete. Is this really the way openreach/BT do business for new lines? Surely they should be able to tell based on other services in the area?

I need a decent broadband connection for work, and don't want to end up buying the property to find I can't get fibre and I end up with a low ADSL speed.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: New build connection speed

It is the only way.

Every line is individual. They can not tell for sure what you would be able to get based on other users in the area.

The only sure way is have an estimate based upon your individual line and because you do not yet have a line that can not be done.

If you were able to get Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) for instance you could be connected to a different cabinet from some other users in the same street and that could mean that you would get an entirely different speed.

You could try a post code check but that can cover more than one cabinet so would not be accurate but may give you a very rough idea of the general speeds and what type of broadband is available.

Because the flat is a new build, you should check with the developer to see if the property is wired for Fibre to the Premises. (FTTP) It may be that the developer has been in contact with Openreach and is aware that FTTP will be able to be installed.

0 Ratings
dan223
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for explaining. I did ask the agent what broadband is possible, I'm not sure if they did any checking with the developer itself and just looked online.

Do you know if there is a way I can check online to see whether it is FTTP available, I doubt it however otherwise they might have been pushing it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If you use this checker it will show you  what services may be available but it won't be very accurate because of the reasons I have given because you will need to use the post code checker.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

BT would not check with the developer. You would need to do that.

0 Ratings
dan223
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Yea I already tried that and get the following which doesn't really show much Screenshot_3.png

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

It is showing FTTP on Demand but that is an expensive business product and not sold to residential customers so basically all you can get is ADSL broadband at 1Mbps. 

If your post is showing the post code result, if there is a house in the same street and you know the telephone number you could use that and it might show something else but I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting fibre.

0 Ratings
dan223
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

That was a address search which I believe they don’t have any stats for and the reason it shows like this. post code shows up to 17mb but stats doesn’t include fibre stats. If I do the property basically next door it shows fibre highs of 80mb
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

The estimates as you have explained them are giving a mixed answer. It looks like the only sure way you will be able to tell is to do as has been suggested by BT and that is to take out a telephone line ADSL package and once it has been connected up you will get a true reflection of what cabinet your line is connected to and what broadband it will be able to get. If it has fibre you can then upgrade to it.

If a next door neighbour has/is able to get fibre it will be very probable that you will get it also but this is not guaranteed until you know what cabinet you are on and what it can deliver.

0 Ratings
dan223
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

From what I understood I couldn't take out an ADSL package until the line was connected.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 10 of 11

@dan223 wrote:

From what I understood I couldn't take out an ADSL package until the line was connected.

Correct. Once the line is connected and the database is updated it will give you a more concise estimate and if FTTC is available.

0 Ratings