cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Message 21 of 31

Re: New-build house - fibre cabinet full - what can we do?

@pinkteapot wrote:

No - one of the few lighter red splodges. 🙄

I looked at Three who do cheaper deals with unlimited data. They don't promise indoor 4G coverage. Then again, neither do EE who our mobile phones are with and we have 4G with them upstairs in the house at least... We could position a 4G router on the top floor, on the side of the house with the strongest signal...  

I guess we should however get the phoneline connected first to make absolutely sure fibre isn't available - I know DSL Checker results based on address aren't always accurate.

Thanks to @Keith_Beddoe for the tip re which model of HomeHub BT should send - I'll check the equipment when it arrives and query it with BT if they've sent a later version which may not work well on ADSL. 

That is the 3 coverage map.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 22 of 31

@pinkteapotwrote:

No - one of the few lighter red splodges. 🙄

I looked at Three who do cheaper deals with unlimited data. They don't promise indoor 4G coverage. Then again, neither do EE who our mobile phones are with and we have 4G with them upstairs in the house at least... We could position a 4G router on the top floor, on the side of the house with the strongest signal...  

You could also purchase an Aerial to connect to the mobile BB router and place it outside, or on a window where you get the best signal.  That way increasing the chance of getting a good 4G signal and better 4G speeds.  Just a thought. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 31

I agree - a 4G router with an external aerial and a data plan on EE (or one of the MVNOs that use its network, like BT Mobile!) may be the best option for you.

Getting the best signal possible will be essential to minimise drop outs and slow downs which could get very frustrating for you. I think the investment in the antenna would be worth it.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 31

Also BT Mobile have a ‘no limits’ data plan for £30/month but you need to be a halo customer so may still need the basic adsl line to qualify for that.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 25 of 31

HELP!

Engineer came to install our master socket, activate phoneline and set up ADSL broadband. That was fine. He said there's definitely fibre in the area so if it's not available the cabinet must be full.

We are keen to order fibre as soon as it becomes available again on the DSL Checker, but we're really worried BT still won't let us at that point, because:

We've now called BT again a number of times and every single person we speak to is absolutely adamant that there's no fibre in the area. We asked them how the house next door had BT Fibre. They looked up that address and said "They can't have it, it's not available."

So BT aren't telling us "sorry, we can't order it for you at the moment because the cabinet's full". They're saying "Your area isn't covered by fibre" and that we should fill in the form to register interest in fibre with Openreach. We said that the engineer said there was fibre in the area and they didn't really have an answer. 

So what happens if DSL checker shows it available again and BT just say "sorry, no fibre there"!!

Could something be wrong on a database that BT use? 

Now that we have a landline number I've looked at DSL Checker again and it still says waiting list, as it did when searching by postcode (results are the same as those posted further up the thread). 

p.s. We're not ruling out an antenna and using mobile broadband as a longer-term solution, but we wanted to give it a little while first and see if the cabinet capacity is expanded. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 31

if you used your phone number in the checker did it show same cabinet as the address check showed - 15 ?  if so then the cab is full and you just need to wait until either openreach increase capacity assuming that is still possible or someone moves and gives up their connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 27 of 31

Yep, still cab 15. And everything you say is exactly what we thought.

The problem is that BT are insisting we're wrong - a number of different people there have told us (1) there's no fibre in the area and (2) next door can't have BT fibre (we know they do, and they're getting ~30Mbps, and they're on the same cab). 

So, my worry is that something's wrong on BT's end, they're seeing the wrong info, and won't let us order even when DSL checker does show it as available in the future...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 31

you can't order fibre because it is currently not available to you as your cabinet has a waiting list   you need to keep checking on dslchecker and as soon as you see available then contact BT to upgrade  I would contact options team 0800800030 when you see available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 29 of 31

I understand that. I just want to be sure it's nothing to worry about that BT aren't acknowledging that there's a full cabinet?

p.s. Thanks for the contact number. 😊

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 30 of 31

If I have the correct cab its not due to be expanded until August next year. If the wrong one just give me the first part of your postcode.

2019-11-23 17_07_09-CodeLook.png

Might also be worth contacting ConnectingCumbria to see if they have more info for you.