cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lexicaltje
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New build property & Fibre

A slightly confusing issue so i will try and explain it as best i can!

We are moving into a new build property in a few weeks and im trying to organise internet for shortly after we move in. Its only a small development of 4 houses within a residential area. The development has just been given its own postcode which is recognised by BT's online order system and shows the 4 properties. 

Obviously there is no phone number or active line at the property yet and there never has been as they are new build, but cabling has been laid to the houses (our builder has informed us of this). 

So anyway, when i come to order through BT, it says i cant order infinity and shows me an estimate line speed of 0.0 - 0.0 Mbps with a minimum line speed of 0.0 Mbps (Thanks BT!) for just normal ADSL.

The thing is, the DSL checker tells me what cabinet the property is connected too, and thats fibre enabled and all the houses around us can get fibre (The cabinet is just across the road). 

So im fairly sure we can get Fibre, but im unable to order it. When i spoke to BT over the phone they said they need to send an engineer round and then more products might become availble. Is this ikely true? That the DSL checker cant provide me with accurate information because we have no phone number yet? I also asked them why i cant order it and they said it might be because the cabinet is full. I feel this is rubbish? Surely it would tell me its available but i cant order it in that case. 

The other annoying thing is im having to pay and sign up for 12 months for a rubbish service where i have no idea what ill be getting just in order to get an engineer round when they may or may not provide me with a fibre service? 

Can anyone advise or shed some light on the situation as im rather confused!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New build property & Fibre

This is always a problem with new build.

Once builders realise that FTTP access becomes a selling point and  increases house prices it will continue.

BT must allow universal access to their telephony system this does not extend to internet.

It is possible that the cabinet you will be connected to is full. You expect an additional cabinet to be installed for 4 houses?

0 Ratings
Lexicaltje
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

No of course not, i would just assume that even if it was full it would say available but unable to order yet.

I dont really know what to do, i guess ill just have to order a normal ADSL service and then if fibre becomes available upgrade, its just rather annoying thats all. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

It may be that you can get Fibre to the Property. (FTTP) and that is what the builder has laid cabling/ducting for. You could try phoning the FTTP sales 08005874787 to see if that is possible.

0 Ratings
Lexicaltje
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

If i could get FTTP though surely that would show when i enter our address into the checker? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

no the only accurate check is the phone number check the postcode one is least accurate as a post code can cover multiple cabinets
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@Lexicaltje wrote:

If i could get FTTP though surely that would show when i enter our address into the checker? 

Don't bother checking then!

0 Ratings