Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sumdumgi
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New contract on Infinity 1

@ianm1309 wrote:

Hi

With the latest round of offers from BT, I just thought I'd mention my recent experience switching from Infinity 2 to the new 52Mb Infinity 1.

For the last couple of years I'd always synced at around 48Mb, so I calculated it was probably worth paying for Infinity 2, as I could only get 38Mb on Infinity 1. But when I saw the July 2016 price rises, and the fact that Infinity 1 was now up to 52Mb, I thought I'd save some money and should still get the same speeds.

I discussed this with the CS rep and got them to agree a deal less than the £26pm advertised. They assured me it was only a 'software change' and my speeds would be unaffected. But ... when the switch took place my speeds dropped and G.INP was switched off. As a result, a month on, I found myself stuck on 40698/9999 with G.INP still off. Tried a manual restart and got 39493/9490. I'm pretty sure all this has happened because the switch to Infinity 1 caused a DLM reset, and we all know how frustrating DLM can be.

Of course, there may be some degree of extra crosstalk as my cab will have taken on more connections in the last year but, after a power cut a few weeks ago, I came back on 47620, so I don't think cross talk is part of this.

So, anybody thinking of taking advantage of the latest prices to switch from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1, don't expect to keep your old speeds. All in all, wish I'd kept paying a bit more and kept my connection speeds the same.

Well I'm in the same boat except I just signed up for a new contract on Infinity 1.

I ditched Infinity 2 18 months ago as the maximum download I was getting was around 37mb.  It's been rock solid for the last year, I sign up for another year and I'm told my exchange can now offer 52mb max so.  Thing is my speed has now dropped to 30mb Cat Sad

I've saved a few pounds which if fine but I wasn't expecting poorer performance.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Beware of switch from Infinity 1 to 'new' 52Mb Infinity 1

@Sumdumgi

start your own thread with your own problem and post some stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

as your post has beem moved

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sumdumgi
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Speeds-2.jpg

Speeds-2.jpg

I use a TP-Link WW9980 so cannot run the advanced diagnostics I'm afraid.  I've had 3 Home Hub5, two lasted less than a year and the third, although when working gave me 39mbs steady used to reset itself constantly.  The W9980 has been solid since I installed it and ran at 39mbps and an upstream of 7mbps. I've had Infinity 1 or it's equivalent for more than 3 years and always achieved around 39mbps.

Within a week of signing the new contract when I was told my exhchange was being upgraded to deliver 52mbps my speed has fallen to an average of 31 and upstream of 5.7

Now I know this may not seem important to many folks but actually having a decrease in service doesn't make me happy - I'm thinking that as my IP Profile is set for 34mbps that's the top speed I will be able to achieve ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

If G.INP was previously enabled on your line the removal of the cap will have temporarily removed it. DLM will intervene eventually and re-instate G.INP with a commensurate increase in speed.

0 Ratings
Sumdumgi
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

If G.INP was previously enabled on your line the removal of the cap will have temporarily removed it. DLM will intervene eventually and re-instate G.INP with a commensurate increase in speed.

Any idea how long that would normally take ? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

It took a month to be re-instated on my line, don't know how typical that is though, but I suspect it is.

0 Ratings
Sumdumgi
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

It took a month to be re-instated on my line, don't know how typical that is though, but I suspect it is.

Thanks, it's approaching a month so I'll give it another couple of weeks and see where we are.

Message 9 of 13

Yes took around a month here.

0 Ratings
Sumdumgi
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

Well, it's a good period over a month now and things have actually worsened.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 32.03 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 23.53 Mbps-33.61 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 33.61 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.11Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

I've gone from having a steady speed of just under 40mb for years to 32mb when I was told the exchange was being uprated to up to 52mb on Infinity 1 and indeed my original 'special offer' was to upgrade to Infinity 2 !

These are my Router stats -

Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.12 v0021.0 Build 150507 Rel.40130n

Hardware Version:TD-W9980 v1 00000000

System Up Time:28 day(s) 01:11:00

DSL

Line Status:Connected

DSL Modulation Type:VDSL2

Annex Type:Annex A/B/L/M

Upstream Downstream

628534727 Actual
628540394 Max

Any ideas what I can do ?