cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
element140
Beginner
Message 11 of 20

Re: New customer, feeling disappointed

I guess looking at that graph I'm bang on the 50 mark with my distance. I feel it's pretty poor though that you pretty much need to have a cabinet by your front door to get the advertised speeds, and that a more accurate estimate can't be given (I feel I'm way off mine) I worked out the distance to my cabinet using google maps so it's not that difficult.
Does anyone know how this graph compares to virgin fibre? I know they use the same technology (fttc) so would be interesting to see if the drop off is at a similar rate.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

their technology is different from the cabinet to your home it depends on how your line is routed to your home to the cabinet many times it is not a straight line route
0 Ratings
element140
Beginner
Message 13 of 20

Ok. Thanks for the info, and your help 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 20

@element140 wrote:

Does anyone know how this graph compares to virgin fibre? I know they use the same technology (fttc) so would be interesting to see if the drop off is at a similar rate.

Unfortunately, Virgin don't use the same technology so it's hard to compare.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 15 of 20

VM use the EDOCSIS3.0  system which is totally different.  That said you can't get the speed you were quoted. That's a get out if you need it but do it quick. If you wait it will be taken for granted that you accepted it. Or downgrade to Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 20

VM cable broadband is hybrid fibre-coaxial infrastructure with a shared contention bandwidth which is spread among quite a large local geological area. At least with FTTC BB you are only sharing bandwidth with your local cabinet then with a fibre to the exchange.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 17 of 20

@Starman wrote:

VM cable broadband is hybrid fibre-coaxial infrastructure with a shared contention bandwidth which is spread among quite a large local geological area. At least with FTTC BB you are only sharing bandwidth with your local cabinet then with a fibre to the exchange.

Yes but EuroDOCSIS 3.1 will chhange things drastically. All bandwidth is shared on all domestic connections at some point.

0 Ratings
element140
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Thanks for all the info. And it seems I have been misinformed about the technologies used by BT/Virgin. I don't think I'll look in to cancelling as I feel its still a better deal than I was getting previously (BT sport etc) and it definitely seems like a much more stable connection, although theoretically I could get higher speeds with Virgin, I'm not a fan of their traffic management policies and slow upload compared to download. I used to get issues with Netflix buffering with Virgin and my download speed dropping to below 1Mbps regularly (I guess that's to do with oversubscription) but haven't had anything like this so far, although it is still early days.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 19 of 20

It does look as if thye original estimate you were given was higher than it should have been, but apart from that most things have been properly dealt with on this thread.

The only bit still somewhat worrying is your ping time shown as 238ms.  Ping times to real local sites should not be much more than 30ms, a lot less for lucky ones.  For me 'ping bbc.co.uk' is a steady 19ms. The BT broadband test gives silly results for ping:  it shows 58.75ms for me ... but your 238ms seems beyond silly.  It might be worth opening a command prompt and trying the commands

ping bbc.co.uk

tracert bbc.co.uk

and posting the results.

0 Ratings
element140
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Yeah the ping was unusually high for that attempt, they're usually around 20ms so that didn't concern me 🙂
0 Ratings