cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Billboh
Message 1 of 15

New fiber customer - Not getting speeds promised

To cut the story short; I've had fiber for 3 weeks, and download speeds don't go over 4.7mb/s.

I contacted customer services, and they told me to wait 14 days after activation, as speeds will need to 'settle'. That has come and gone, and speeds are still the same. I contacted customer services again, and they said there's a problem with the exchange, and an engineer will be despatched to fix it, and it should be fixed by 6pm monday (01/10/18) which has also come and gone.

So, i contacted customer services again, and they said i have too many devices connected, and need to change wifi channel, or something along those lines. I tell them I use wired connection for my PC, not wifi, so it can't be that and that i tried several different cables, including the one that comes with the smart hub.

So, i'm at a loss.

*EDIT*

Speed tests say I should be getting 40mb/s.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: New fiber customer - Not getting speeds promised

@Billboh

A couple of quick questions which should help you out. 

• How many phone sockets are there in the property?  If there is more than one, which one are you using?
  • Have you tried connecting a phone (corded preferably) to the socket and checking you have a dial tone?

Let us know and we can move onto other ideas. 

Smiley Happy

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Billboh
Message 3 of 15

I have two sockets, I have tried using both; They both give the same speed. And unfortunately I don't have a landline phone
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

post stats from your hub  advanced settings then technical log information

enter phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

run btspeedtester and then disgnostic test and post results  must be done wired  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

just another thought  you are not getting bytes and bits mixed up  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Technical-Glossary/td-p/1434076#_TocBits

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

a cheap landline phone about £5 is the intial basic check to make sure you have a dial tone and to check for line noise which is bad for broadband  it can save you being charged £129.99 for engineer callout so really good investmet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Billboh
Message 6 of 15

adsl.png

Product name:Smart Hub
Serial number:+088044+1819000353
Firmware version:v0.09.06.05093-BT
Firmware updated:Wed Sep 12 17:05:33 2018
Board version:01
DSL uptime:0 days,00 Hours32 Mins53 Secs
Data rate:9.999 Mbps / 39.998 Mbps
Maximum data rate:19.361 Mbps / 82.015 Mbps
Noise margin:12.7 / 18.1
Line attenuation:12.6 / 9.8
Signal attenuation:12.9 / 9.8
Data sent / received:36.8 MB / 682.0 MB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-fi:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
5 GHz wireless network name:
5 GHz wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:Default
MAC address:BC:30:D9:29:F7:93
Software variant:-
Boot loader:0.1.6-BT (Fri Sep 9 10:05:09 2016)

test.png
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

as you can see your download speed is 37.88 on 40mb connection speed  I think you are confusing bits and bytes

what estimated speed range did you get from BT in the initial letter/email

0 Ratings
Billboh
Message 8 of 15

I was promised an average of 36mb/s download speed, and I'm not even getting 5mb/s

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

you have 37mb connection speed  you are confusing your bits and bytes   did you read the link I posted which explains

Bits Vs Bytes. -  When you run a speedtest,  for example http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ , the results will usually be in Megabits per Second (Mbps). However when you download/transfer a file or program you will notice the Transfer rate will be in Megabytes per Second (MBps).

So if you have a download throughput speed of ~56 Mbps then a transfer rate of 7 Megabytes per Second (MBps) is the same as saying 56 Megabits per Second (Mbps).

The same applies for Kilobits per Second (Kbps) and Kilobytes per Second (KBps).

Easy way to remember is that there are 8Bits in 1 Byte.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

5 MegaBytes a second would be about right for your connection speed of 37.88 Megabits a second.

I think you may possibly be getting confused. What are you using to measure you download speed?

What does the BT Wholesale Performance website show?

Example of your speed below.speed1.jpg