cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

New hardware = slower internet speeds?

Hello all, this is a quick question about the new hardware and if anyone else is seeing a drop in their internet speeds?
I was on a HH6 earlier this year and was constantly getting around 67 to 70Mbps. However, there was a storm and this killed the router. I was sent another one, but I was only getting high 50's and it was dropping connection. I have an old HH5, so I thought I would try that and now it is back to normal speed and no drops. However, the wifi is a little weak on that one. BT was kind enough to sent out another HH6, so I tried that one and to my dismay, the internet dropped in speed again. Weird I know so I called BT and they sent me a SH2 of which I received today and now it is back to the high 50's very low 60's if I'm lucky. This isn't the case when I use my HH5. Am I doing anything wrong or is the HH6 & SH2 just rubbish? The drop is around 14 to 20% so it isn't just a little slower. All connections while the tests were done were over an ethernet cable. But, on that note, the router says I am connected at 67 to 70 mbps on both devices, its just the new one doesn't give me that speed?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: New hardware = slower internet speeds?

so are all the router giving about same connection speed but your problem is download speed over ethernet connection?

did you remember to turn off smart setup?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Yeah, after reading a few posts about the SH2, I disabled that and nothing changed.
So yes, both routers show pretty much the same connection speed (68 to 72mbps), its just the SH2 speed tests around 10 to 20 percent slower, and that is consistent. I have tried multiple speed test sites and all of the results are the same.
HH5 is around 64 to 69mbps
SH2 is around 55 to 59mbps
HH6 is the same as SH2.
Another weird thing is, using the HH5 it very rarely drops connection which is great when I am monitoring my servers and my pings are better. Both of the other routers will drop a few times a day, and quite often can drop every hour with higher pings. 😕
Just confused how the new router is supposed to be a lot better than all their previous routers and better than their competitors. But in my "real world" testing all of their competitors hardware is better and even their old hardware is better.
All tests are run with WiFi disabled and only my computer connected via a three meter ethernet cable.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

if the HH5 works better for you then stick with it.  I find no problems with the sh2 and it is needed when you move to digital voice

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Wow, great response. I pay BT for their Halo service and capping me against my knowledge when I have an uncapped package is a little naughty. Now I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but I do and I'm not alone.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

post your hub stats

run btspeedtester and post results  https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

enter phone number and post results  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

BT do not cap your speed if they did then you would get same download speed regardless of which hub you used

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Did you read any of my posts or just glimpse over them. I have posted the speeds and the difference in speed on different routers. Those are the results I have had, min and max speeds are listed. This has been an issue for eight months. When an Openreach engineer tells you they are capping you at the router level and plugs in his tester and shows me connecting at 70mbps but the speed test shows me pretty much always at or below 60mbps. Again, this only happens on the new hardware. Are BT capping me deliberately? I have no idea, but the numbers are the numbers. I just did a few tests using Steam as I found that their dl services are quite reliable. HH5 downloads at around 8MB/s HH6&SH2 downloads are sub 6MB/s.

I don't want to come across as a pain in the bottom, but these numbers have been the same for eight months and no matter the time of day, the results are exactly the same between the devices.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 74mbps

VDSL Range A (Impacted) 72.2mbps

Max Observed Downstream Speed 66.7

Max Observed Upstream Speed 18.2

Those observed speeds are pretty much what I get, but ONLY on the HH5.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I have read your posts but wanted to see a complete set of stats from your hub not some brief summary. The other information was to compare what is expected with download speed on btspeedtester

as you are unable to do that I will just let someone else help you with little information

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Unable to do what exactly?

My point is still the same, and the information you are providing is in no way relevant to the issue at hand.

As mentioned, my line and internet is fine, it has been fully tested, this is NOT what I am talking about, what I'm actually saying is why is my internet constantly dropping and I have slower speeds but this is only a router issue.

My question is in the title "New hardware = slower internet speeds?" not at any time did I mention I have an issue with the internet, only the router.

But as I can see you can't be bothered to read, I'm fine with that as you are not helping in any way as it is.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Good luck

0 Ratings