Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
scoraig
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

New home / Fiber installation

So apologes in advance as I have always used sky who send out engineers to ensure everything works.  Basically I have no idea what Im taking about.

So new development has the white BT modem pre-installed (in a cupboard) and it's fibre.  Got the new hub and when plugged in to the point next to the TV i get no internet connection.  Plug it directly into the modem in the cupboard and it works.  So must be something wrong with the cable between the TV point and the cupboard.  Got the builders in today who tested said cable and say its fine and that it must be something to do with the BT products......................so now at a dead end.....................anybody and ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: New home / Fiber installation

The problem is your cable, get somebody in that understands Ethernet cabling rather than the builders.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Welcome to this user forum.

The hub needs to be either connected direct to the ONT, or via a single Ethernet cable.

Is there an Ethernet cable near the ONT, and is there an Ethernet socket next to the TV point?

It has to be an Ethernet socket, not a phone socket?

This is an Ethernet cable

Cables Direct 0.25m CAT 6 UTP PVC Injected Moulded Cable Blue - B/Q 500

This is an Ethernet socket

Cables Direct CAT 6 Single Port Faceplate + Module + Blanks - B/Q 200

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 14

I'm a little surprised at both @licquorice and @Keith_Beddoe on their replies to this but here we go.

None of the ethernet sockets in any of the rooms in the house will work until they are connected to a router or switch.

If the developer has followed Openreach recommendations there should be a patch panel near the ONT (white Openreach box). Connect the hub to the ONT and use patch cables from the ethernet output ports on the hub to connect to the patch panel. Now all ethernet sockets will work in each room.

Here's OR's recommended set up.2018-09-25 17_13_30-Fibre network guide - fibre_developer_handbook.pdf.png2018-11-30 19_19_34-Window.png

If you don't want any of the other ethernet sockets on the house to be operative you could identify (trial and error) the port on the patch panel that will serve the one room you want the hub in. Connect that port to the ONT with a patch cable and place the hub in the room connected with a patch cable to the ethernet socket.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

There is absolutely no reason that the router can't be sited remotely from the ONT using the structured wiring if done correctly.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 14

@licquorice Looks like you were typing as I was editing my post to add how to do that.Smiley LOL

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@pippincp

That is an ideal situation, but I doubt that many builders would go to this trouble unless the purchaser requests it at the start. Many simply run phone wiring with sockets in every room, with not a Ethernet cable in sight.

They expect the home hub to be next to the ONT, with perhaps a couple of mains sockets, and a phone socket.

There was a recent post on the forum, describing exactly this situation.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/New-build-set-up-query/td-p/1893172/page/2

No Ethernet cabling, just phone sockets Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 14

@Keith_Beddoe we'll have to wait for the OP to get back and let us know.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

99% of the New Builds I visit for FTTP don’t have any kind Data Cabling/RJ45 Sockets.

And the 1% that do the Data Cabling is usually Wired up wrong.
scoraig
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Guys, thanks for allnthe messages. Im away for the weekend but will update tomorrow. Thanks.
0 Ratings