cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

New house, •Huawei: Openreach modem fitted, but I have a Hub 6, What do I do?

I just moved into a new house 3 weeks ago,

there is a Huawei: Openreach modem fitted, but I have a Hub 6 on an infinity package, how do I set this up?

Does the openreach box need turning off? and simply plug the hub 6 into the double socket without the filter?

Seems odd to not us the openreach box if that is the case, as yet we have no broadband on the hub 6 only the flashing purple light?

No idea what to do and BT have not been very helpful, i'm very confused. HELP.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: New house, •Huawei: Openreach modem fitted, but I have a Hub 6, What do I do?

The Hub6 has a built in modem rendering the Openreach modem superfluous. Just remove the modem and connect the DSL socket on the Hub to the same phone socket that the modem was previously connected to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Re: New house, •Huawei: Openreach modem fitted, but I have a Hub 6, What do I do?

Thanks for the reply.

Seems crazy Opereach are fitting these things in new houses if they are not needed.

Is it possible the open reach box is stopping the home hub 6 from working as I'm not enjoying the purple flashing light?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

Just to be clear, this is an FTTC installation and not FTTP? I.e the Openreach modem plugs into the phone socket and is not an ONT with a fibre connected to it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Does the 'modem' look like this?

Image result for huawei ont

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

more like this. Plus it has built in battery into the wall.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

In which case it isn't needed and should be removed. Just connect the hub in its place. No idea why a new build should have a modem fitted, they haven't been fitted for a number of years.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

It definitely doesn't have a fibre optic cable connected to it though?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 19

I don't believe so, BT seemed unconcerned when I said there was an openreach modem in the house already and were desperate to send me a home hub 6. even though I already had one from the last property.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 10 of 19

If the modem has a battery back up then that sounds like FTTP and shouldn't be touched.

To would need the replacement Hub 6 as it will have a WAN port to connect to the ONT  (modem)

0 Ratings