cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 19

Re: New house, •Huawei: Openreach modem fitted, but I have a Hub 6, What do I do?

@pippincp wrote:

If the modem has a battery back up then that sounds like FTTP and shouldn't be touched.

That was what rang alarm bells with me, but apparently no sign of fibre and photo is FTTC modem. Does seem odd that a FTTC modem should be fitted at a new build though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

Re: New house, •Huawei: Openreach modem fitted, but I have a Hub 6, What do I do?

So do I need a hub 6 with a red WAN port? like this below?

Diagram showing how to connect Hub 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 19

Yes, if you have FTTP. Can you post a photo of your actual modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

To completely clarify, if you have an FTTP service with a fibre connected modem you need the modem and a hub with a WAN port. If you have an FTTC service with the modem connected to the normal phone line, the modem can be removed and the hub DSL port connected to your phone line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 19

I just have a basic BT infinity 1 package, fttp and fttc don't mean much to me I'm afraid?

I'll post a picture later today, currently in work.....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

Infinity is just a marketing term, it can be delivered by 2 technologies. FTTP, Fibre to the premises, you will have a fibre optic cable connected to the modem. FTTC, Fibre to the Cabinet, service is delivered to the premises via the normal copper telephone cable. We need to understand if you have a fibre optic cable connected to the modem or whether the modem is just plugged into your phone line. A photo will help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 17 of 19

Unable to upload a picture but it’s a EchoLife HG8240 that open reach has installed, it has an optical green tipped cable attached to it?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 18 of 19

As suspected, FTTP. You need the replacement hub6 with WAN port as per the graphic you posted.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 19 of 19

Thanks for help, I’ll get on to them. Cheers
0 Ratings